OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Conditioning anodized aluminum

Started by augasman, April 05, 2017, 06:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

augasman

Hey guys. I bought a new call this year. It's an anodized aluminum and padauk from Hank's. It's my first one with the black aluminum. Is there anything special I need to do with it, or just scratch it up like all my other calls?

Cut N Run

I use those individually wrapped lens cleaning wipes with rubbing alcohol to keep the surface clean and sounding good.  Some of the call manufacturers here can tell you better, but I don't believe that scratching anodized aluminum is the right way to go.  I hope this helps.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

perrytrails

220 grit sand paper is what they recommend.

How far you go with it is up to you. Parts of mine show bare aluminum. Not a issue for me.

One of the best pot calls I've ever run. Period

SteelerFan

I've used the sand paper, when I've done anything. I went VERY light pressure and it's been fine. Just enough to see the scuff, but still black.

It's been running good with a bunch of woods. Here, I ran it with a black locust...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUsr_6jYexw

sixbird

If you want to keep it pristine, you can use a paper towel with 91% alcohol on the surface (87% has some oils in it and can take all the sound out of it...Not permanently but can make them silent). Be sparing since you don't want too much alcohol getting on the glued area of the rim.
The other thing you can use is scotchbrite. That works pretty well also. If you use sandpaper, it will change the sound. That could be good or bad. I have a Lon Trice anodized that I sanded one spot. It now has two different sounds. Neither is bad but the sanded spot definitely sounds different than the original.

wvmntnhick

I've found a good shot of drywall screen or a stone is good for anodized aluminum. Just keep rubbing until the black anodized coating is gone and the raw aluminum is showing through.

I should probably add that I'm not a fan of anodized aluminum. Only one I've kept in tact was a Schaffer atomic 13. The Halloran I bought is bare aluminum and the others have either been sold, traded or given away.

augasman

Thanks for the help guys. It's definitely a great sounding call. I can be pretty rough on them. Just didn't want to to mess up. Just out of curiosity, what is the difference in the black aluminum versus regular aluminum?

Bowguy

Use the 220 or lighter sandpaper as already posted. Do it lightly, realize though if you sell call it lowers value.
I only do a spot but my buddy said his Strawser came through n Pat scuffed the whole surface w sandpaper. Runs really easy he said.  He's since done a few others n that's his method now. Whole surface counter clockwise is what he does

Gooserbat

I like denatured alcohol but the occasional maroon Scotchbrite used lightly can be in order.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.