turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Two Swamp Gobblers Down!

Started by evanscountylimbhanger, April 05, 2017, 02:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evanscountylimbhanger

Set up on a pair of two year olds yesterday morning, but like turkeys do sometimes they went the opposite way. So this morning i tried to be set up on the other side of that roosted pair. Silence.. A strong gobbling bird a couple hundred yards up river was the only bird talking but i sat tight till well after flydown, just in case that pair was just not gobbling.

When the bird up river kept hammering on the ground, i decided to get down in the river bottom and start working him. i ran two sequences on my new favorite, spring creek scratch box. the bird never cut me off or even responded... until i heard him gobble cut off by two more birds gobbling alongside him and they had closed the distance in a hurry.

so one bird had turned into three and i got set up in a less than ideal position but there was no time. all three gobbled again and made me flinch they were so close. one more gobble from the dominant bird to announce his presence as all three single filed into gun range.

the dominant bird broke half strut as he peeked around the trees trying to find the hen. dropped him with the hevishot mag blend.

the other two birds jumped sideways then immediately came back and started whipping on the flopping bird. lined one of them up and click... the action didn't cycle fully on the last shot.. so i'm ripping the action open, shell popping out, making so much noise and movement, but the birds aren't paying me any attention and just tearing up the downed bird.

i finally get the shell back in the chamber and square up one of the bullies at 30 steps with my one of my backup rounds of longbeard XRs. the last bird still wouldn't leave until i finally had to just get up and run him off.

a stud 4 year old and mean two year old lying side by side was the result leaving me with one tag for the remainder of the season. light rain and crazy humidity goes to show you that you just never know when the birds are gonna want to play the game. absolutely crazy hunt and i was blessed to experience it!

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

CT Spur Collector

Dr Juice

owlhoot

Congrats! You tell a good story to.

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Lucky_Strutter

The Great White Spur Hunter

kjnengr

Awesome.  I bet your heart was pumping after all that.

chatterbox

Rzrbac

Way to go, nice story. Never give up on those crazy birds there's no telling what they'll do.

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

mgm1955

boomer

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

spurz

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk