OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Deciding on a new vest.

Started by Gobblerjim, April 05, 2017, 08:45:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobblerjim

So my season is done here in south Florida. So I decided it's time to pass on my turkey vest to a friend who's new to turkey hunting. It's a mossy oak super elite 3 that I've had for many years. It's always been to big for me. I'm looking to get into something a little more form fitting and free standing. I'm a run and gun style hunter. I cover a lot of ground on public land. Vest needs to be able to hold ample drinks and food. Don't carry to much gear. Only use pot and mouth calls. So let's here some recommendations. Thanks for the info guys. Oh I'm tall and thin 5'11" 170.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shedhunta

Loving my new Alpz grand slam.  Never thought I would want a kickstand and planned on removing it.  It is staying. I got the smaller size and I am about same as you.

Deast1988

Cabelas Tat'r series. A few models to choose from find the one that fits your needs.

tha bugman

Flintdiver

New to the market this past 2 or 3 weeks, Primo's Rocker Vest. I liked mine so much , I bought 2 . Just to have it.

TauntoHawk

I got the rocker vest and thing the set up is amazing but its got a ton of pockets you might not need or even use half if you are only carrying a few calls
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gobblerjim

Thanks. The rocker looks cool but I sit in a lot of swamps and don't carry the many calls and the back rest set up looks questionable. I do like the Alps grand slam set up and will be on the look out for a good deal on one of those.

Gooserbat

Quote from: Deast1988 on April 05, 2017, 09:20:11 AM
Cabelas Tat'r series. A few models to choose from find the one that fits your needs.

This right here.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Gobblerjim on April 08, 2017, 09:35:58 AM
Thanks. The rocker looks cool but I sit in a lot of swamps and don't carry the many calls and the back rest set up looks questionable. I do like the Alps grand slam set up and will be on the look out for a good deal on one of those.

The only flaw I've found with the rocker is that the bottom of the seat that sits on the wet ground is the part that sits against your back when folded up. In really wet muddy places I'd see this as very annoying. It's also set for a call aholic like myself

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

thunderbirder

Quote from: Gobblerjim on April 08, 2017, 09:35:58 AM

Another vote for the Tat'r series. I've got a very well - built Tactical Tat'r 2 and it has everything I need without going overboard. With that thick seat that comes with it and the back support, you could easily sit down for hours at a time. Also, the vest rides higher on your body than most other vests, which is a big plus, especially if you're sitting in swamps.
Al

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

beakbuster10

Tenzing TV14 is an awesome vest. Ol Tom used to make good stuff but there quality is not what it used to be and definitely not worth the coin IMO.

Marc

Being short and thin, my options were limited...  Every vest I tried, fit me like a dress, and bangs around when I walk.

I ended up with the Tat'r vest, and could not be more pleased.  I am able to snug it up well, and it is very comfortable to wear (and sit against a tree). 

I tried the kick-stand vests, but it seemed uncomfortable and cumbersome to me.

My only complaint is no shell-loops.

It has large easily accessible pockets, that are well compartmentalized...  I do not use pot calls, but the area to hold pot calls is perfect to put my scratchers and strikers and chalk.

The zippers all have loops, and anything I am afraid of loosing with a strap gets attached to those loops.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

kjnengr

One more vote for the tactical tat'r 2 vest. The speed seat cushion is awesome when you are moving spots often and don't like your seat slapping the back of your legs. The loops on the zipper handles also make them easier to open and close. It does have a water bottle pocket on the left side of the vest.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Gooserbat on April 09, 2017, 07:00:33 AM
Quote from: Deast1988 on April 05, 2017, 09:20:11 AM

This right here.
Agreed. I'll be alternating between my Primos gobbler vest and the cabelas tat'r this spring.