OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Looking for some advice on handheld GPS units

Started by FXDWG, April 04, 2017, 06:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FXDWG

I've been using an iPhone to navigate and scout. I become a bit spoiled by the birds eye view feature of the satellite maps. Do any of the GPS manufacturers make a unit that shows your location and direction your pointed with as much detail as an iPhone? I love being able to see every firebreak, slough, tram road, pond and, creek etc. I dislike the unreliability of cell service, and know it's unsafe to rely on it. My last GPS, a Garmin 60 was ok for what it was, but far more difficult to use. Thank you in advance fo any help/ advise that can be provided.

MK M GOBL

There would be a few of the Garmin units to look at, and can use BirdsEye Satellite Imagery. I would look over each of there features, the 64st would be closet to what you have with the updated features.

Montana® 610t Camo PART NUMBER: 010-01534-01

eTrex® Touch 35t PART NUMBER: 010-01325-13

GPSMAP® 64st PART NUMBER: 010-01199-20

MK M GOBL

Fullfan

Also recommend the Garman like of GPS's. I have 3 units Vista HXC, Oregon and a Rhino 650. Love the birds Eye view. No cell phone service when I'm elk and turkey hunting, so I have to rely on my GPS.
Don't gobble at me...

FXDWG

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I recently learned that the electronic compass in the new GPS units that really helps. My old GPS 60csx required forward movement to point out my direction. This made it far less user friendly. It would ultimately get you there, but it was a pain.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Trimble GPS hunt app on my android works well for me. It doesn't have satellite pictures but it has good topo maps and works off of phones GPS no cell signal required you can use in Air Plain mode and very little battery usage on my phone

Gobspur

Stick with the cell phone, just download an app like U.S. Topos (paid version).  Has all kinds of great maps including bing aerials etc.

Then, predownload (cache) the map of the area you'll be hunting on your phone, and you don't need cell service to use.  It uses your phones GPS to show where you are/going.  I usually download a map several square miles larger than area I'm hunting.  Standalone GPS units are obsolete in my opinion.

kjnengr

Quote from: Gobspur on April 04, 2017, 03:27:16 PM
Stick with the cell phone, just download an app like U.S. Topos (paid version).  Has all kinds of great maps including bing aerials etc.

Then, predownload (cache) the map of the area you'll be hunting on your phone, and you don't need cell service to use.  It uses your phones GPS to show where you are/going.  I usually download a map several square miles larger than area I'm hunting.  Standalone GPS units are obsolete in my opinion.

How much area does each "area" cover? 

blackmagic

Cell service or not, I've been very happy using Motion X on my iPhone.

mgm1955

perrytrails

I just bought a map 64 off amazon. Got the base model, no topo maps loaded.

Then order the OnX Hunt micro sd card for your state. It comes with topo maps loaded.

Yes it's $100 but you'll save almost that much buying the unit as a base model.

Then $30 a year gives you access to land owners names and property lines.

You can use onX on your cell phone and pc also for the same $30 price.

Great for keeping you off private land and maybe gaining access to land you didn't even know was public.