turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

my Robert E. Rollins a.k.a Spider Creek Slim a.k.a Turtle Bob call collection

Started by adkmountainken, April 03, 2017, 09:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adkmountainken

around 2001 I happened to find a nice looking scratch box on Ebay that I liked. I bought the call, made payment and in doing so started a correspondence with the seller who at the time I only knew as TurtleBob or Spider Creek Slim. Bob was a real hoot to talk with on the phone and I purchased a few more calls from him throughout the year. he also carved a great turkey and howling coyote scene on my powder horn for me, his running joke was he carved in a few invisible grasshoppers that the turkeys were after.  another really neat call I got from him was a turtle shell / slate call with 2 really neat strikers that he carved on and put his "water proof tips " on.  I was also lucky enough to purchase a antler and wing bone turkey yelper. I loved his calls though I used the scratch box calls very little as the sat in my gun cabinet as decoration as they are beautiful! as time want on I noticed he had stopped listing on Ebay and I had not talked with him in awhile. I made a call and was informed he had passed away due to a motorcycle accident, very sad news indeed! he was a great guy to deal with and talk turkey hunting with. I knew his calls were of very good quality but imagine my surprise tonight as I was thumbing though Earl Mickel's last book ad low and behold Robert E. Rollins was featured on a page! I did not realize until know that he had just starting making calls about the time I found him on Ebay an he befriended me. Earl Mickels book states that he made arong 600 scratch boxes of which I have 2 mint ones, 75 terrapin slate calls, I have 1 and ONLY 30 wing bone and antler calls of which I have a beauty! these calls are very dear to me and I was curious if anyone else on here had/has any of his calls? very hard to find any info on them any more at all. just thought I would share.

wcerin

That is really cool collection. I would cherish those. Good stuff!!
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

Double B

I like it .... nice turtle shell slate and that carved striker is very cool too.
Followed by buzzards

Beards and Hooks