OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: April Fools Bird in Virginia  (Read 3711 times)

Offline wvboy

• Central VA .. But WV is Home
April Fools Bird in Virginia
« on: April 03, 2017, 12:13:55 PM »
The Youth day opener was good to the boys and I once again this year..

We setup in a blind on a field at daybreak, but never heard a peep.  So around 7:30 we went prospecting.  Finally found a couple of birds toward the back of the property and fooled with them for a couple of hours, but they would not come.  We were headed back to the truck and called in a spot we had walked through earlier, but struck this guy up.  He was in the middle of a loblolly pine thicket in between two fields and it was too thick to traverse the way I wanted to get to him.  I kept him gobbling with a crow call and backed up and cut down the edge of a cutover and got on the other side of him on the field edge.  I thought maybe he would come into the field, but we were so close to him at that point we didn't want to chance crossing the fence.  So we setup and hoped for the best.  He came right through a nasty thicket and skirted us out of range and got to the fence and I thought he was going to go into the field and behind us.. which would not have been good as we were facing the thicket.  Luckily I had Gunner pointed looking down a deer trail right beside the barbed wire fence and when the tom hit that trail he turned and strutted right up it to us. :)

Here is some video of the hunt.
https://youtu.be/Uqb_j1s-CrI

Pics

RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: April Fools Bird in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 08:56:15 PM »
Congrats on a very nice bird.
 :fud: :OGani:

Offline steveo

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 02:08:07 PM »
Awesome !!! Great shot......

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 02:43:57 AM »
Congrats on a very nice bird. Love the coaching/mentoring.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk