turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Great opening weekend in TN

Started by taylorjones20, April 03, 2017, 12:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorjones20

My cousin and I hunted all day saturday to get these birds. We started off going after a bird that was gobbling very little and a long ways off. Once we walked nearly a mile his direction we stopped and listened and never heard him. But there was two birds gobbling where we just came from. So we headed back that direction and one was fired up. We got real close and had a ridge in between us and the bird. As we are working our way closer to him he gobbles and he is super close. We sit down immediately and start scratching in the leaves and call one time. He gobbles and then pops up coming over the ridge in full strut. He gets on the ridge and gobbles in our face. My cousin clicks the safety and shoots right over the turkey! Man, it was disappointing...

We thought the chance for killing a bird on opening was done. We tried a few other spots and nothing was working.

About 5pm we headed to the last spot. Walking through the woods on a trail I heard what I thought was turkeys scratching. We stopped and looked and listened but couldn't see anything. I decided we should go further down the ridge and set up on the other end and call. We did and I called, he called, but no response. We both called and got real excited with our calling and a turkey gobbled less than 100 yards away. I had set up with the ridge between the turkey and us so he would be within 25 yards if he showed himself. He didn't want to come over that ridge but finally after about 30 mins of calling and him gobbling (even triple gobbling) he finally topped the hill and the 90/93 put him down! He weighed 23lbs, 9.75" beard, 1.25" spurs.

After taking pictures and celebrating I said, let's check this field and see if there's anything out there. We eased to the field and there was a gobbler and he appeared to be alone. We went through the woods and tried to get closer to him. I was going to get to the edge of the field and see if he had moved, and sure enough he had. He was going towards where we were calling the turkey I had just killed. Needless to say, he seen me before I seen him... I thought it was over because he left the field. We stayed there for a few minutes and I thought, what the heck, I'm gonna see if he will gobble. We called and sure enough he hammered in the woods across the field. We took off trying to circle around him and once we got set up we called again and that joker gobbled in the same spot we had called from after we spooked him. One more call a minute later and he had cut the distance in half. He came in and took a face full of the 90/93 and didn't even flop. 21.5lbs, 7.25" beard, 1" spurs.

I have been fortunate to be on a bunch of great turkey hunts but I have never heard gobbling like I did on this hunt. I cannot even describe how strong these birds were gobbling! It was a great opening day!
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Camo70

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

beagler

Never Misses

boomer

suburbhunter

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

mgm1955

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

MAKEemQUIVER

Sounds like an awesome opening day!! Love the color scheme on that gun
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

tomstopper

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.