OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Explaining hunting in terms of golf.

Started by Marc, April 02, 2017, 09:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

So the land-owners that have given me access are not hunters at all.  Not against killing something to eat, but really do not understand the concept.

One of them was explaining to me, that I can walk right up to where they are roosted and just shoot one...  I explained that I like to shoot them on my terms and call them in and such, and I could see he just did not get it...  He looked at me like I was either crazy, or stupid or both (which I actually will not confirm or deny).

Realizing he golfed, I asked him how he would enjoy shooting a perfect round at Pebble Beach by simply dropping the ball into each hole by hand...  Obviously, he said that would not be fun at all, but then I saw the light come on.  He got it, it is not killing the bird, it is the act of fooling them and taking them on our own terms.

I am sure it is different for all of us, but I enjoy taking a bird on my terms...  I "like" to feel that I tricked the bird into doing something he would not have done were I not there.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

HawkeyeGobbler

;D ;D

I have seen a real similar mentality from a lot of the farmers around here, bless their hearts. Them being some real practical minded folks, and most not being hunters, they are quick to give info (again, bless their hearts) but the way they sometimes describe the habits/locations of what I'm hunting for...

"Oh yeah, there's 2 big toms that come out of that timber into the north edge of the field, about 40  yards from the creek., should be there by about 8:30, set up in that fence line and you'll whack one for sure."

"Sure you can duck hunt here. Matter of fact, if you climb that back pond dam and be real quiet, bet you could pound a bunch. Seems that's a roost pond."

"Set up on the south edge of my hay field and our resident 10 pt typical, Bruiser, should be past you at about 5 tonight."

One was just dumbfounded I'd rather show up at zero dark thirty, drag in a ton of decoys and sit there blowing a call picking off ducks here and there. While he did "duck hunt", his method was to take the 10 gauge crawling through the weeds and blasting what he could. Even kept a fishing pole on the bank so no need for dog work. Different strokes for different folks I guess, and all legal.

I'm just grateful of those who let me on their ground  :happy0064: Your post got me to thinking maybe I could give them that golf analogy to explain my "madness" more to them, but come to think of it most of those old farmers don't golf, either  ;)

Cottonmouth

My wife was talking to one of her friends in church this morning about me going out of state to turkey hunt. She couldn't understand why I would drive that far to hunt. I told her the MS season is 2 weeks in and I have my limit already so I go hunt other places for a change of scenery.
  Turkey hunting isn't something I like to do...it's something I HAVE to do. I dont expect everybody to understand.

Marc

Quote from: Cottonmouth on April 02, 2017, 10:32:21 PM
My wife was talking to one of her friends in church this morning about me going out of state to turkey hunt. She couldn't understand why I would drive that far to hunt. I told her the MS season is 2 weeks in and I have my limit already so I go hunt other places for a change of scenery.
  Turkey hunting isn't something I like to do...it's something I HAVE to do. I dont expect everybody to understand.
Nobody will understand the fanaticism behind hunting, unless you can relate or make an analogy to a subject matter that they are fanatic about...

With a woman, ask her if she would like to go to New York to shop for a day, and if so why (as she can shop much closer for the same items)?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

SteelerFan

"I am sure it is different for all of us, but I enjoy taking a bird on my terms...  I "like" to feel that I tricked the bird into doing something he would not have done were I not there." - Marc

Sums it up perfectly!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

My only addition to that, would be tricked with a call. I'm addicted to the conversation / gobble.

Farmboy27

Well while we're on the subject, I'd like to take a mulligan for last spring! 

Bowguy

Gotta be honest the name of the thread had me not want to read it. Anything involving golf has me negative. I'll leave it there so as not to offend but man you hit it perfectly w the fellow!

potter

Love to ask golfers why they hit little white balls with clubs, does not seem sporting to me. And u cant eat them either

birdman561

Hearing a bird on the roost is the drive. Making a good drive and keeping the ball on the green is him flying towards you off the roost. Him coming to you is your short game. Hitting a ball In a sand trap ,or water hazard. Is him hanging up. Those last 100 yards is the putting game. Shooting him is sinking that ball.

Him flying straight off the roost, 30 yards in front of your gun barrel, hole in one!

HawkeyeGobbler

Quote from: birdman561 on April 03, 2017, 06:56:03 PM
Hearing a bird on the roost is the drive. Making a good drive and keeping the ball on the green is him flying towards you off the roost. Him coming to you is your short game. Hitting a ball In a sand trap ,or water hazard. Is him hanging up. Those last 100 yards is the putting game. Shooting him is sinking that ball.

Him flying straight off the roost, 30 yards in front of your gun barrel, hole in one!

I like the analogies! I am by no means a good or even okay golfer but I used to play a lot. I have one hole in 1 to my name, 100% luck. I have also had a bird gobble on the roost, I called, 10ish minutes later and a tom presented a 25 yard shot. THAT was a way better feeling than the hole in 1!

mgm1955

compton30

I once became a member at a local golf course (the worst course I've ever played, hate that course) because the place was COVERED up in turkeys. I may or may not have lightened the male turkey population that year right off the 4th fairway ;). Best shot I've ever made on the golf course

birdman561

HFultzjr

Quote from: potter on April 03, 2017, 06:38:08 PM
Love to ask golfers why they hit little white balls with clubs, does not seem sporting to me. And u cant eat them either

And then they chase them. They don't even try and run away.......LOL
Golf is nothing but a good way to ruin a nice walk.........LOL
No offense to you golfers out there, just a little humor.
I've even played a few time..................very few times.

Vabirddog

It is very much like golf. Both played outdoors in beautiful places, involve lots of walking, managing weapons and determining yardage. Both require stategy and execution. Ultimately If you play either game well you get lots of birdies!