OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Using a leaf.

Started by Player, April 02, 2017, 04:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Player

Any of you guys use a leaf to call with? I remember when a lot of the old timers would just pick a green leaf and put it in their mouth and make the prettiest yelps you ever heard.

turkey buster

Clardh

Me too! I guess they use to use it like a diaphragm call?

CMBOSTC

Any kind of leaf in particular?

Bowguy

Think it mighta been cherry

BOB_HARWELL

I've heard green brier was best & poison oak was almost as good.

Bob

CMBOSTC

Very funny Bob! I'll try Cherry before those two.

BOB_HARWELL

I've read in a few books that the old timers did use a green brier leaf, any leaf might work. I saw Ben Lee use a small piece of note book paper.

Bob

SteelerFan

Player

The guys I knew didn't seem to require any certain species of leaf. They could just look around at what was close and pick something. Not saying they might not have had a favorite though. No disrespect but they sounded a lot better than the guy in the video.

I tried it but never could get the hang of it. But then I never was any good with a store bought diaphragm either.

A lot of the old timers around here used them when I was coming up. Don't know if that was a regional thing or not.

I imagine with the availability of all the diaphragms now days that is becoming a lost art.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Many have used a blade of grass. I know of two members on here who have done it.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Spitten and drummen

You think mr bob was joking , but what he said is true.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

CMBOSTC

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on April 02, 2017, 06:57:54 PM
You think mr bob was joking , but what he said is true.

Poison oak?

Spitten and drummen

I meant the green briar. Never heard poison oak . Could be though. Not everybody's allergic to it. Wish he would chime in again.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

CMBOSTC

I've heard of poison oak. I don't think that I'll be sticking anything in my mouth with the word poison in its name.