turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TX Panhandle Double

Started by ScottS, April 02, 2017, 03:22:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottS

Got a couple nice young birds this morning for my first ever double! Showed up before daylight and hiked up to the highest ridge to listen for gobbling at first light.....absolutely nothing sounding off. So I decided to walk the roads and do a little calling to see if I could strike a bird......nothing. This is a new place I'm on so I'm not familiar with how the birds use it so I find a flat and set up my decoys thinking it might be a good strut zone and I sit down and wait. About 45 minutes later I hear a faint gobble so I hit my box call and I hear two gobbles behind me a ways off. I decide to get up get my decoys and plan to swing around and face where the gobbles came from. I stood up turned around and those gobblers had flew into a tree at 8:45 am about 400 yards away from me. They had their heads up like a periscope and I thought I had just screwed up by making the mistake of not checking my surroundings before making a move. Well I stood there still for sometime and decided to ditch the decoys and very slowly kneel down and crawl to some brush between me and the turkeys. I made it to a mesquite thicket and watched those birds in the tree. About 20 minutes later they flew down the opposite direction and I thought for sure it was over but to my surprise a few minutes later I see a black body top a hill and go under a fence headed right towards me. I scramble to find a spot to set up and before I know it 2 of the gobblers had made there way over to me under two fences and I took them both at 30 yards. They never gobble or strutted once they hit the ground. First time I've ever seen them fly up in the morning like that. Pretty cool start to the season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgm1955

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tomstopper

Congrats on two beautiful birds

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

boomer

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ScottS

Thanks guys I've definitely had a blessed start to the season

Lucky_Strutter

The Great White Spur Hunter

NCbowjunkie

Congrats on the double. But where are the trees? What I can see is what we call bushes here in nc lol
:wave:

ScottS

Quote from: NCbowjunkie on April 04, 2017, 12:12:03 AM
Congrats on the double. But where are the trees? What I can see is what we call bushes here in nc lol
:wave:
Haha what y'all call trees are few and far between here but where you find trees you find turkeys and they cover a ton of ground in a day! Good thing is you can spot them a long ways away.

renegade19