OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

That's not the kind of turkey you think it is

Started by TauntoHawk, April 02, 2017, 03:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

This morning while out scouting I watched a tom exit a woodline out into a field. In the field was a turkey buzzard eating something. This Tom proceed to walk right up to that buzzard and start strutting back and forth seemingly displaying for the solo purpose of that old buzzard. I'm not sure what he was thinking or if it it was just coincidental circumstances that he happened to pick a spot to come out and strut just a few yards from this buzzard but even the buzzard seemed to find it odd. I know the toms are ready we'll before the hens but that would be one ugly smelly hen to try and mount.

The gobbler had one of the rattiest thin beards I've ever seen, decent spurs though. All said I spotted or heard in my estimation 6-7 mature birds and another 10+ Jake's scattered in the fringe of public private. Birds were all roosted on public but all went straight for private fields.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

mgm1955

dublelung

Some gobblers just have lower standards than others. He probably had a complex about the thin scraggly beard and just felt it was the best he could do.  :lol:

SteelerFan

Quote from: dublelung on April 02, 2017, 05:28:47 PM
Some gobblers just have lower standards than others. He probably had a complex about the thin scraggly beard and just felt it was the best he could do.  :lol:

:TooFunny:

Marc

A buzzard looks a lot more like a turkey then many of the turkey decoys I have seen on the market.

It is probably breeding season for both species, and probably both birds were a bit confused.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Farmboy27

Quote from: Marc on April 02, 2017, 05:54:27 PM
A buzzard looks a lot more like a turkey then many of the turkey decoys I have seen on the market.

It is probably breeding season for both species, and probably both birds were a bit confused.
Lol. I was thinking the same thing!  Years back my buddy and I were sitting in a fence row with a few decoys in the field just killing time. After a while we noticed shadows circling around and next thing we had two buzzards in our decoys trying to figure out where the meal was!  We still laugh about it'

TauntoHawk

Too funny guys..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sixbird

Hey, maybe he had a late night at the bars...Some nights at closing time, the gals that didn't look so good at midnight take on a "glow" at 2am... :-[

tha bugman

Bill Cooksey

Twenty years ago, on a Friday morning, I heard gobbling on the other end of a farm I hunted. It was coming from the corner of a big field, and I was stuck on the other side. When I got where I could see birds, there were 15 buzzards pecking around a deer carcass 200 yards from me. I saw another buzzard coming in to land, and as soon as he hit the ground three longbeards took off after him gobbling like crazy.

I had to get to work and didn't have time to try moving around the field. Next morning, I brought my son back, and we set up not far from that carcass. That was our first double.