OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gobler stats

Started by High plains drifter, March 31, 2017, 05:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

In 23 years of turkey hunting, I've wounded one bird, and missed one bird.Around 20 gobblers rubbed out.Pretty good stats.

MK M GOBL

Not going to post about my "Numbers" here... Some see it as bragging and not Success???
But all I will say is

We all measure success in a different way... Over 2/3rds of the birds I have "taken" I have never squeezed the trigger on. A few of them birds were when I was guiding (that in itself is another story...) But more than anything those "Numbers" are Youth Hunters, Learn to Hunts, Mentored Hunts, Family, Friends & some New to Turkey Hunting Hunters I have taken out over the last 27 years and yes some are my own birds I have tagged... I consider my greatest success "Numbers" is how many I have introduced to turkey hunting and being able to share my passion for this with others.

I'll count every one of  these smiles every time!

"I had some Luck"

MK M GOBL

guesswho

Please don't take this the wrong way because if your happy I'm happy for you.   But for me personally if I wounded or missed roughly 10% of the birds I shot at I'd be concerned. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Rzrbac

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 31, 2017, 05:24:52 PM
Not going to post about my "Numbers" here... Some see it as bragging and not Success???
But all I will say is

We all measure success in a different way... Over 2/3rds of the birds I have "taken" I have never squeezed the trigger on. A few of them birds were when I was guiding (that in itself is another story...) But more than anything those "Numbers" are Youth Hunters, Learn to Hunts, Mentored Hunts, Family, Friends & some New to Turkey Hunting Hunters I have taken out over the last 27 years and yes some are my own birds I have tagged... I consider my greatest success "Numbers" is how many I have introduced to turkey hunting and being able to share my passion for this with others.

"I had some Luck"

MK M GOBL

That is what turkey hunting is all about! :icon_thumright:

Spitten and drummen

I can only say if I dont ever pull the trigger on another gobbler in my life , Then my feelings will not be hurt. I have killed and called for others more than my fair share.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

spaightlabs

But all I will say is

"I had some Luck"

MK M GOBL

:z-winnersmiley:

I always enjoy your grip and grin shots of other's success.  i think I remember 7 or 8 of them from last year?  Good on ya.  Of the hunts I participated in last year, the ones where I was just there to show others the ropes and maybe do a little teaching were by far the most fun.  Not 100% sure if I'll even take my own gun to the woods this year - I'm just not mad at 'em this year it seems.  That might chang when I get out there and hear 'em getting after it, but so far, it feels like I will be content to help others out and leave the shooting for them.

High plains drifter

I think taking kids out is great. I got my nephew a gobbler when he was 15, and I was tour of that, it was I'd first hunt. Unfortunately, he lives 13 hundred miles away.Ive taken some friends out, and have gotten them gobblers, and I was proud of that.I agree with taking other people out, but then you expose your hunting places. People will talk, even when you tell them not to.O yeah, on my one wounded bird, I found him with my lab, after an hour of looking, but he took off flying real low, and my dog almost got him, but I couldn't shoot, because my dog was to close. I'm not bragging here, I was just trying to guage my success rate.

Tail Feathers

I count five misses and one wounded/lost bird in my years.  I once laughed and wondered how someone missed.  I can tell you at least five ways to do it now. :TooFunny:
I will say, failing to account for a 30mph crosswind can throw a shot off a good ways.
Wounding one and losing it will make you sick.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

LaLongbeard

I don't like to talk numbers  its hard not to come off like a braggart.When I'm asked how many I've killed I answer not enough.The number I will say I've never wounded or lost a gobbler.I can say the same for bow hunting and I've had a 100 people tell me if you hunt long enough you will loose  a turkey/deer I think that is a defeated attitude and there's no reason you can't kill every animal you shoot at if you know your limitations and don't try to take iffy shots jmo
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

High plains drifter

I know there are guys who have taken way more than 20 birds, in 24 years, and guys who have taken way less. It depends upon the state, and how much you hunt.It used to be, in mt. You could only get two per year.That was up until last year.Im proud of the fact I've only missed one, and wounded one. I only hunt a few days per year.

guesswho

Phillipshunt, I used to be guilty of saying that.   Make it 101 now, trust me!   It can happen, it does happen and it will happen at some point if you keep hunting.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mtns2hunt

I admire all the guys calling in birds for the newer generation. Guy lives down the street from me takes youths out for their fist turkey or deer. He gets a huge kick out of it. Wish I had the time. As to how many I kill? I'll "NEVER" say.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Farmboy27

Quote from: Phillipshunt on April 03, 2017, 03:38:17 PM
I don't like to talk numbers  its hard not to come off like a braggart.When I'm asked how many I've killed I answer not enough.The number I will say I've never wounded or lost a gobbler.I can say the same for bow hunting and I've had a 100 people tell me if you hunt long enough you will loose  a turkey/deer I think that is a defeated attitude and there's no reason you can't kill every animal you shoot at if you know your limitations and don't try to take iffy shots jmo
My advice to you is find a piece of wood and start knocking!  Lol. Anyone who has hunted long enough and claims no misses or loses is either lucky or lying. I hope your streak continues, but believe me eventually Murphy's law catches up with us and we are left scratching our heads to what went wrong.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Rzrbac on March 31, 2017, 06:42:01 PM
But all I will say is

"I had some Luck"

MK M GOBL

That is what turkey hunting is all about! :icon_thumright:

Here's my start to 2017 "Learn to Hunt"

Here's the story, http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,72776.0.html

Piper killed her Gobbler!!

MK M GOBL

High plains drifter

But all I will say is

"I had some Luck"
I agree, hunting isn't all about killing birds. It's about getting out there , and enjoying the outdoors, and nature. Good comment.
MK M GOBL