turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Death Valley Bird

Started by CASH, April 10, 2011, 06:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CASH

T-town and myself have been after this bird for a while.  Both together and separate.  There have been numerous times he has been in gun range, but out of sight.  He is the only gobbler on our lease that gobbles ALL DAY LONG at crow calls, crows, and our calling.  He always has a hen and has been the bane of our existence.

This morning we went to our usual listening spot and hit a crow call at daybreak and of course he gobbled.  He was fairly close, so we chose to set up in place and try to draw him in.  After an hour and a half, he would not leave his strut zone.  We moved a little closer and at one point he was in gun range spitting and drumming, but was on the other side of a rise and we could not see him.  Eventually he drifted off and we went to another area to see if we could get something else interested.

We had a time limit to hunt today, so on our way back to the camp we decided to hit him with the crow call and see if he was still around.  Sure enough he was, so we circled around to try and cut him off.  We were almost to the top of a ridge and we heard his hen scratching.  We knelt in place and let out a couple of soft clucks and purrs and T-town started scratching in the leaves.  A few minutes later his hen came over the ridge in search of us.  She looked around for a few and continued down the hill.  Within a minute or so I saw him strutting about 50 yards ahead.  He walked around looking for us going in and out of strut. 

Dave kept whispering to me to let him get closer, that he was coming our way.  I already had a spot picked out to shoot him, if I had the opportunity.  He stepped into my spot and I laid him down at 40 yards, and then watched him roll down the hill.

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

LX_Trkyhntr

Way to go CASH!!!  Congrats on a fine bird!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

TRKYHTR

RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

vaturkey

Congrats Cash ! Nice Gobbler ! :icon_thumright:

:newmascot:
Vaturkey

T-town

I'm so glad that rascal is dead! What a hunt, at-a-way to close the deal!

OLE RASPY

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

cannonball

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

NCTURKEYHUNTER

Ol'Mossy

lmbhngr

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

JVA54

:icon_thumright:    Congrats!!

Basser69

Congrats my OG brother!! :z-guntootsmiley: