turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

First Longbow Turkey

Started by tjfish, April 10, 2011, 05:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjfish

Well I finally was able to connect on a bird this year in Nebraska after three years of trying. Last year was the first time we were able to call in some birds close enough for a shot, but couldn't seal the deal due to some misses.

The first place we called produced two toms, but they hung up at about 50 yrds directly behind us. I was a little disappointed, not a bad start and it was only the first afternoon. The next day we went in to a place where I missed a jake last year and there seem to always be birds in there. Sure enough there were hens yelping as we were setting up the blind. After and hour of calling off and on two gobblers showed up with four hens. The hens were interested, drawing the gobblers close. They came to 30 yards, but never presented a shot in the cover. I was disappointed, but we went back to the area we called the afternoon before.

We set up the blind and as I was climbing in I could see a tom strutting through the trees about 150 yards away. We got to calling to the yelping hens, but they showed no interest and moved off. Once again I was disappointed, but continued to sit. About 30 minutes later a tom all of a sudden came into view strutting at 50 yards all alone. He moved closer strutting and drumming the whole way into 4 yrds where the decoy was. Being so close to the blind I was afraid to draw so I waited this he turned to face the hen, shielding his eyes with his fan and I took the shot. He ran a few yards and tipped over. I couldn't have been any happier and my dad was there to witness everything. A great weekend. We hunted the next day trying to get my dad a bird, but didn't succeed after spooking two jakes just before sunset on their way back to roost.

How found him

Walking out with my prize

Few Hens not happy with the decoy

hobbes

Congrats!  I really like the photos, especially the first.

snapper1982

He ran a few years and tipped over.....

i was wondering how far a turkey runs in a few years? lol.. but really congrats buddy.. :z-guntootsmiley:

cannonball

tjfish

Hahahaha. I didn't catch that. Thankfully he didn't run for a few years only a few yards.

schuylkillspur

Awesome Job. I was shooting out of the blind today for a few hours. Headin to Kansas Saturday with longbow in hand.  :icon_thumright:
You hav nothing w/o FAITH

BOFF

WOOHOO!!

That's one great accomplishment in my opinion. I've taken a lot of game with the longbow, but not a turkey yet.  :icon_thumright:

For your dad to be there as well is even better!!

I'm going to take one with my longbow one day. But for now I'm happy with the shotgun.  

Is that a Rampart longbow? Riser looks a little thin to be a Morrison.

Congrats!!

God Bless,
David B.

timbrhuntr

Longbow turkey don't here of too many of those. Congrats!

tjfish

Quote from: BOFF on April 10, 2011, 07:05:24 PM

Good eye. Tough to tell from the pictures, but it is. I never hear of too many guys shooting them outside of the Denver area. Best shooting bows I've handled in my opinion.

Tim

BOFF

Quote from: tjfish on April 10, 2011, 07:18:21 PM
Quote from: BOFF on April 10, 2011, 07:05:24 PM

Good eye. Tough to tell from the pictures, but it is. I never hear of too many guys shooting them outside of the Denver area. Best shooting bows I've handled in my opinion.

Tim

Tim,

Does your dad shoot traditional as well?

God Bless,
David B.

tjfish

Yeah he shoots a Rampart recurve.

Hognutz

Well done. That is a pretty bird.. :you_rock:
May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

NCTURKEYHUNTER

Congrats,  and some really nice pics :fud:

Ol'Mossy

Congrats, nice pics and story  :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

Quote from: hobbes on April 10, 2011, 05:52:51 PM
Congrats!  I really like the photos, especially the first.
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions