turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TIGHT Beaked Gobblers

Started by bbcoach, March 30, 2017, 12:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Our season opens on the 8th of April, so we have been out everyday this week at first light and will continue next week, doing our preseason scouting.  We have seen strutting gobblers with multiple hens, at numerous locations, but we aren't hearing very much gobbling either on the roost or after flydown.  I went to a spot, this morning, that I've heard and killed multiple birds the last 3-4 years.  I arrived well before first light.  At 7 o'clock and 7:10, I had two separate gobblers with hens start feeding and strutting at this location.  Both groups hung around for over an hour but not one gobble from either gobbler.  Any ideas why the birds are so Tight Beaked?  We did have a VERY warm February but March has been up and down.  I know the length of the days trigger the breeding not the weather but what has been happening further south (I'm in Eastern NC) since you guys have seen warmer than normal temps as well?  Are the birds henned up already?  Thoughts Everyone?       

Fieldturkey

I'm also in eastern NC. Very little gobbling here. I did watch a gobbler breed a hen last week tho.

g8rvet

They are not quiet where I live, meaning the general area.  They have just been quiet where ever I happen to be standing. I have literally not heard a single gobble this year.  Nephews were hunting a public WMA and heard 5 different gobblers last Sat.  We went on Sunday and NADA. Not a peep.  Nephew scouted this morning for a hunt we have this weekend.  Heard 2.  I told him that was good, but stay away from me and you can hear them tommorrow. 

I am being punished for being done last year in 11 days!  Killed one opener and 11 days later. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

bbcoach

Quote from: g8rvet on March 30, 2017, 12:45:23 PM
They are not quiet where I live, meaning the general area.  They have just been quiet where ever I happen to be standing. I have literally not heard a single gobble this year.  Nephews were hunting a public WMA and heard 5 different gobblers last Sat.  We went on Sunday and NADA. Not a peep.  Nephew scouted this morning for a hunt we have this weekend.  Heard 2.  I told him that was good, but stay away from me and you can hear them tommorrow. 

I am being punished for being done last year in 11 days!  Killed one opener and 11 days later.
I wouldn't say you are being punished.  I've been there myself.  I've done it in a week (7 days), killed 1 on opening day and the second on Friday of the next week.  I ask myself after I pulled the trigger on the second one, "Now What?"  Best thing I ever done, I put the gun in the gun cabinet and started calling for my friends, Very Gratifying.   I just can't figure these birds out this year.  I've hunted this property for years and the birds just aren't acting as they have in the past.

Tail Feathers

I would guess that either they have the hens and don't need to gobble, or the predators in the area keep 'em hush-mouthed.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!