turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Dakota decoys?

Started by supremepredator, March 29, 2017, 12:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supremepredator

Why dont i hear more about people using these? They look just as good as dsd's and half the price! What's the difference besides not having the ace technology?
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

supremepredator

And what about deception decoys?

wernerjd

I have a friend here in Nebraska and he swears by the Dakota Jake Decoy. He doesn't hunt with a DSD but has had good luck with Dakota. He says it works just as good as the DSD.

Dtrkyman

Great looking decoys...not quite as nice as dsd in person and made in China!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tha bugman

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 29, 2017, 08:47:03 AM
Great looking decoys...not quite as nice as dsd in person and made in China!

+1 but for the money they will work just fine.

Gobble!

Good question.

Dakota - "Our warranty is simple... if it falls or flakes off... we replace!"

When I called DSD regarding paint flaking off my decoy they told me they would sell me touch up paint. Pretty poor for the most expensive decoy on the market.

I think DSDs look the best but not 100% sure I would pick them over Dakota if I was doing it again. That Dakota warranty would be hard to pass up.

stinkpickle

I'm guessing they would work just as well.

MK M GOBL

The do look good, but IMO the color is off... We used to carry these at the store and when sitting side by side with a DSD (DSD Wins) now I may be giving a turkey too much credit :) but the Dakota is more of a hen brown body color (No black feather body tips??) and not the "dark" color of a male/jake bird. DSD's also have an iridescence to their paint that changes as light hits it's body at different angles. Don't know if they still have the flocked version of the Dakota, think there might have been an infringement issues with DSD because they got pulled from the shelf... But they looked better that way.

MK M GOBL

supremepredator

Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 29, 2017, 12:20:01 PM
The do look good, but IMO the color is off... We used to carry these at the store and when sitting side by side with a DSD (DSD Wins) now I may be giving a turkey too much credit :) but the Dakota is more of a hen brown body color (No black feather body tips??) and not the "dark" color of a male/jake bird. DSD's also have an iridescence to their paint that changes as light hits it's body at different angles. Don't know if they still have the flocked version of the Dakota, think there might have been an infringement issues with DSD because they got pulled from the shelf... But they looked better that way.

MK M GOBL
i agree, too brown. The Turkey's are black in my area. But for half the price, i could live with it. Maybe hit it with a little black spray paint.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: supremepredator on March 29, 2017, 03:39:20 PM
Quote from: MK M GOBL on March 29, 2017, 12:20:01 PM

MK M GOBL
i agree, too brown. The Turkey's are black in my area. But for half the price, i could live with it. Maybe hit it with a little black spray paint.

Yes if a guy could airbrush some black on all the tips on the body feathers, and if you bought a "Black" flocking kit for it's back center feathers you could improve it a lot. Now you may void your warranty once you modify the decoy...

This is some of why a DSD is more expensive, They do the airbrushing and flocking from the factory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvDOlhHSB3g

Dakota's do have a neat stake system, I have seen on some other waterfowl decoys too. The  bungee only allows the decoys to spin "half" way in either direction and the back to center.

MK M GOBL

beakbuster10

Bought a Dakota sight unseen because it was half price and looked very similar to the DSD. Came out of the box with paint already flaking and the color was off. Returned it and got a DSD. Night and day difference. If you're bowhunting turkeys, DSD is going to give you the best odds. Gun hunting, the Dakota would probably be fine but I'd still go DSD. Buy once cry once.

fallhnt

Because real men don't use decoys. Sorry...I couldn't help myself

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

stinkpickle

bat man posted this pic a few years ago of the two sitting side by side...

beakbuster10

Quote from: stinkpickle on March 30, 2017, 01:30:00 PM
bat man posted this pic a few years ago of the two sitting side by side...

The new dsds look even better with the flocked backs and iridescent paint

stinkpickle

Here's a more recent side by side I found on the interwebs...