turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Longbeards

Started by Cutt, March 28, 2017, 11:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Do others find these shells difficult to find, other than online? Was wanting to try some 3.5 5&6's before Season, and figured as popular as they are, shouldn't be an issue? Wrong.

Checked two Wal marts, do not carry them. So went to Dunhams, they had 1 box of 3.5 5's which I bought but no 3.5 6's, but they must of had 50 plus boxes of 3.5 4's? So asked the clerk about the 6's and his explanation was there isn't much difference between the 5 and 6's? ;confused; So I asked why only 1 box of 5's but unlimited 4's and got no answer?

For some reason, they are pushing the 4's? Just don't want to make the switch if I decide on the 5's or 6's but can only buy 4's other than online? Would rather buy shells on hand as needed. Are others finding the 4's heavily stocked and basically nothing with 5 and 6's? I'm guessing Winchester is dictating their order and pushing the 4's , just don't make sense?

SteelerFan

Are they really stocking more 4's? or just SOLD OUT of 6's??

That was the case with Dick's last season. 5's & 6's were selling more & quicker than the 4's.

Cutt

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 28, 2017, 11:50:03 AM
Are they really stocking more 4's? or just SOLD OUT of 6's??

That was the case with Dick's last season. 5's & 6's were selling more & quicker than the 4's.

Could be, I'll have to check back as the clerk was no help, as he told me there was no really no difference between 5 and 6's? So in his eyes there's probably really no difference between 4's and 5's? And if he's doing the ordering, hard to tell. If that was the case and they were out of stock with the 6's , you think he would have told me this when I asked? rather than say there's not much difference? So who knows?

BB30

Place here near me had a ton of 4s and hardly anything else. They had one box of 5s for a 20g.

Cutt

Quote from: BB30 on March 28, 2017, 02:30:31 PM
Place here near me had a ton of 4s and hardly anything else. They had one box of 5s for a 20g.

Kind of makes me think, most buy the 5 and 6's, in stores and online, where Winchester ends up with a surplus of 4's. So Winchester pushes them on certain stores? I know I said they had  50 boxes of 4's and that was a conservative guess.

Number17

Don't be afraid to try the 4s.
I shot 4s 5s and 6s in 3" out of an 870 with Truglo SSX choke.
I was floored by how well they all shot.....including the 4s. I could stuff all the shells in a big grab bag and not have any worry about which ones I chambered. They shoot that good for me.

I got a ridiculous deal on 6s at the end of last season, like $7/box, so that is what I'll be shooting for a while I suppose, but those 4s are just wicked at 40 yards.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

mtns2hunt

I have had the same experience at sportsmans warehouse. I shoot LB 4s because I do a lot of feild hunting and LB 6s in the woods or out to 40 yards. Plan on trying out LB 5's this summer just to see how the pattern goes.

I am always astounded at the way everyone waits until the last minute to puchase ammo: of course it will be difficult to find at the last minute just like everything else. I bought LB 6s and 4s real cheap last year at Walmart at the end of the season, about 6 boxes. Probably last afew years although I like to shoot and pattern alot.

Just purchased next years ammo for deer hunting 3 bottles BH, and 5 packages of sabots, 200 hundred Nosler partions, and another thousand primers as I am currently just under 3000 buy, buy during the off season.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

compton30

Our Walmart's don't even carry Long Beards, but our Field and Stream store had 4s, 5s, and 6s, for 20% off plus a 2 dollar rebate from Winchester so the total ended up being 13 bucks a box. Swoon.

Cutt

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 28, 2017, 04:24:05 PM
I am always astounded at the way everyone waits until the last minute to puchase ammo: of course it will be difficult to find at the last minute just like everything else.

Not the last minute here, as our Season is still 5 weeks out, and actually started looking 2 months before our opener. As Wal marts here basically just got their turkey stuff out here recently, and figured they would appear then? but they don't carry them?

Not like I need them, as I still have Hevi 13, but just wanted to try them. But if it's going to be an issue getting what shells I want, I have no problem staying with the Hevi. So at this point it's up to Winchester to make them readily available, as I'm not going to look all over for them, and it's not like Wal mart doesn't carry Winchester Turkey loads, just not the Longbeards?

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Cutt on March 28, 2017, 05:18:29 PM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 28, 2017, 04:24:05 PM
I am always astounded at the way everyone waits until the last minute to puchase ammo: of course it will be difficult to find at the last minute just like everything else.

Not the last minute here, as our Season is still 5 weeks out, and actually started looking 2 months before our opener. As Wal marts here basically just got their turkey stuff out here recently, and figured they would appear then? but they don't carry them?

Not like I need them, as I still have Hevi 13, but just wanted to try them. But if it's going to be an issue getting what shells I want, I have no problem staying with the Hevi. So at this point it's up to Winchester to make them readily available, as I'm not going to look all over for them, and it's not like Wal mart doesn't carry Winchester Turkey loads, just not the Longbeards?

I buy my ammo and reloading supplies months and sometime years ahead. I too cannot stand rushing around looking around for ammo. Had more than enough of that with the Obama scare.

Since the Walmarts in Va. carry LB: the shells are in their warehouses. I would ask the manager at your local Walmart to see if they could order some. Couldn't hurt.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

BowBendr

I noticed that the one local store I buy from here in my town wound up being way overstocked on the 4's over time.

They are not sold out on 5 and 6's but they say those sell quicker than the 4's.
Haven't been to a Wal-Mart lately.

I personally love the 4's.......

Gods of Thunder

Cutt

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 28, 2017, 05:40:06 PM
I buy my ammo and reloading supplies months and sometime years ahead. I too cannot stand rushing around looking around for ammo. Had more than enough of that with the Obama scare.

I can understand that and have done the same for ammo, that I know I want, or need. But like I said, was just wanted to try certain shells for now to decide if it's going to replace my Hevi or not?  As popular as it is, just never figured it be this hard to get locally?

Bowguy

I've shot a lot of birds using nothing but 4s. I've been recently shooting smaller sizes. Went to get some 20 ga just last weekend n the clerk simply told me they only carried 4s even in 20 as you needed at least that much to kill em. Actually looked at me like I should know that. I asked if they could order me smaller sizes n he said they aren't made. Guy was a meatball n prob still talking about how ignorant I was.
Winchester isn't making what doesn't sell. I don't believe though could be wrong they need to fill size quotas n have extras in 4 for stores.
I believe only that's what was ordered or that's all that's left.
Don't assume a sports shop knows anything

beagler

My local Dick's Sporting Goods has a wide variety of them.
Never Misses

turkeyfoot

Why not just order from Bass pro and be done with it they have plenty 4 5 and 6 my bro ordered some 6's had them few days later no worries have rebate now also