OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Marlin Watkins Box Calls

Started by GunRunner, March 27, 2017, 08:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GunRunner

I have heard a lot of positive comments on Marlin Watkins Box calls. For you guys that have his calls, which call and wood combinations would you recommend?  Does MW have a website?  What is the best way to get in touch with him?

vt35mag

Quote from: GunRunner on March 27, 2017, 08:30:02 PM

I have heard a lot of positive comments on Marlin Watkins Box calls. For you guys that have his calls, which call and wood combinations would you recommend?

Macassar ebony over persimmon. If you want send me a pm with your cell, I will send you the soundfile of the call he made me.

yelpy

I like to run a cedar over popular long box from Marlin when hunting.

Clardh

At Unicoi, I picked up his Bloodwood over beech. I've never heard a box call sond so good!

hunter22

Marlin is on Facebook. He is Don Watkins there. He makes great sounding short and long boxes. They sound turkey. 

sixbird

Marlin seems to like butternut as the box material. I'm not sure what he prefers as lid material but I know he uses a lot of mora and macasser ebony. I bought a mora over persimmon short box from him that you might lose a limb over if you tried to get it from me...
Pretty much any box, long or short, that you get from Marlin will be phenomenal. Any combination that comes out of his shop will be world class...
Call and he'll either run them for you or send you a soundfile. You'll know before you give him the o.k. to ship it, what you'll be buying.
Marlin is a great guy and a craftsman regarding turkey calls. He works each call for between 6 months and a year before they go out.
You'll be happy with anything you get from him...He guarantees it...

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Clardh on March 27, 2017, 10:04:02 PM
At Unicoi, I picked up his Bloodwood over beech. I've never heard a box call sond so good!

I have the same combo along with a snakewood over butternut from him. both are fiddle boxes and would recommend any combo from him.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

trb136

Marlin could make a turkey call out of cardboard! Hard to pick any one combo of his....great Calls

mgm1955

Just put a mora/blue mahoe short box in my vest. Took out a snakewood/oersimmon, just as good. Won't go wrong with just about any combo. Marlin can help you out if you call him.

Spitten and drummen

Dang , a blue mahoe box. I would love to see a pic of one.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Bowguy

I don't personally have any but ran em at Schafers. The best box I've ever heard was his mora over butternut

turkeymanjim

I have a fiddle box made from butternut box, ipe lid. Great combination.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Bennett

I got a Beech and Bloodwood in the mail yesterday. I have several and I think this may be my favorite

idratherb

I got a canary over poplar and bloodwood/butternut but it doesnt matter their all killa

willy8457

I would talk to Marlin and let him know  what sound your looking for. is this going to be a fall call or spring call.  His long boxes are hard to beat in the fall. I have a couple that I  have had good luck with,  Ipe over Butternut and  and Bloodwood over Mineral  Poplar.  I just got a short box from him in Macassar over Yellow Poplar I can't wait to hunt with this spring. The gobblers seemed to like it last fall. Talk to him tell him what your looking for, He will help