OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Black turkey guns

Started by longislandloco, March 27, 2017, 05:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longislandloco

Anyone using a basic black turkey gun or does camo rule the day.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

taylorjones20

I'm using cerakoted guns. All the metal is one color. Brown colors... Black stock on one gun and camo stock on the other...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

chatterbox

My son shoots an all black Mossberg 510, and has never had a problem killing birds.

Double B

I run a black Beretta 390, killed several birds with it. 
Followed by buzzards

Philippe

Camo guns are nothing more than personal preference. As long as you are not being obvious the birds wont see it.

Bowguy

I was telling some folks about this sort thing in an instructor meeting just last week. I've kee kee'd in birds in fall wearing red wool/black rich jackets n red/black flannels. No one believes til they see it done. Tv has us brainwashed imo.
My daughter shoots an all black 11-87 the other shoots a wood n black 11-87. I've taken them w black/wood sp-10s, and sat next to a bunch of folks using all black guns. The Ithaca I'm gonna use this year is all black n the Benelli I plan to use too is all black.
For a long time I used a camo 835 n I'd bet the camo helped not at all.
Turkeys aren't the slickest, look at how close they come to blinds whatever color they are. Ever drop a black decoy bag n realize too late? Birds walk right up to it. My older daughter often takes off her face mask n forgets to pull it up when gobblers approach. Never once has a bird spooked when she sits still n sometimes even when they don't sit perfect.
Yea camo can help n I'd say there's never too much but don't stress over something so small. Wanna break up your pattern, wear camo n the black horizontal streak they see could be a wet stick, they aren't checking for safeties

jmart241

Never had a problem with black and they are cheaper than camo

nyhunter

:icon_thumright: yepper I shoot an all black 870 20ga,

Greg Massey

I have 3 black and one factory camo and never had problems with the black guns...Agree camo is just preference..

davisd9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Frylock

Camo guns might be the most successful marketing myth ever perpetrated on the hunting community.  Sure, I own, and use some, but don't think it makes a lick of difference. As long as your gun isn't painted neon yellow I'd say you're good to go. However, the camo treatments (dips, cerakote) definitely go a long way to preventing or even prohibiting rust on treated surfaces. 

Yoder409

My SX2, which I used exclusively for 8-10 years, is factory black.

Never had ANY issues whatsoever with birds seeing it as anything unnatural.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

turkeymanjim

I shoot a benelli's cordoba that is all black. Never had a problem with birds seeing a black shotgun that I no of.

kjnengr

Quote from: Frylock on March 27, 2017, 08:01:05 PM
Camo guns might be the most successful marketing myth ever perpetrated on the hunting community.  Sure, I own, and use some, but don't think it makes a lick of difference. As long as your gun isn't painted neon yellow I'd say you're good to go. However, the camo treatments (dips, cerakote) definitely go a long way to preventing or even prohibiting rust on treated surfaces.

:agreed:

I wouldn't worry about hunting with a monochrome color gun but I would want my gun coated in some kind of way because of the environment I hunt. I get rained on at least once a season.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: kjnengr on March 27, 2017, 09:21:50 PM
Quote from: Frylock on March 27, 2017, 08:01:05 PM

:agreed:

I wouldn't worry about hunting with a monochrome color gun but I would want my gun coated in some kind of way because of the environment I hunt. I get rained on at least once a season.
I'll agree to an extent. It cuts the glare in most cases. However, I've killed many birds while using a stainless steel gun with zero camo finish so obviously camo isn't a big issue. As for the gun being protected, I've seen where the dipped guns will sometimes rust from the inside out. The external appearance gives a false impression that all is well but that's not always the case. Once it gets scratched up some, it allows the water to get in there. If you want a tough finish, get the gun ceracoated like mentioned above. That's definitely the way to go for durability. Like mentioned by others, this is just one mans opinion.