turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hanks Aluminum Surface

Started by Coop1082, March 27, 2017, 12:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop1082

Anybody ever REALLY roughed the surface of any of Kimmy Hanks' aluminum? Got his padauk aluminum over glass the other day and lightly ran a maroon scotchbrite over it. Even when freshly hit and my stiker (dymondwood) it was shipped with and rain chalk on the tip it still slipped and squeeked after a few yelps/cuts. I eventually caved and took the 220 grit sandpaper he ships along side the call and really got into the surface. You can almost see the raw aluminum coming through in some of the sanding lines.. Aesthetically not the prettiest, but to me it made a huge difference. Pitch did change slightly, but I have noticed no slip since doing so. Anybody else gone this route with a Hanks and or any other slick aluminum?
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Jbird22

I'm still running mine slick. I like the occasional slip yelps myself.

jjnfla

I got the same call and mine slipped a little also i scuffed it lightly not to the raw aluminium and it fixed it.

Coop1082

It's not "bare" aluminum by any means, but you can see some silver shine in a few of the lines. As far as pitch goes it's still a screamer and has a great roll over. It made the back end a tad deeper from what my ear could hear as far as slick vs roughed goes. I took a never played or conditioned Ipe striker I had layin around and ran it for kicks just to see if it would grip and it ran pretty easily. Just wanting to see if anyone has taken this route with slick aluminum. I've seen on here where some guys have taken slick all the way down to the bare aluminum and been satisfied. Don't know if I could make myself go that far!
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Bowguy

I rough mine up w fine sandpaper too. Lasts forever it seems n is way better than the scothbrite. I don't overdue it but it surely helps an awful lot. I should add only on the slick stuff. Rough aluminum I don't do it

Coop1082

For what it's worth I just called Hanks and asked how to go about conditioning it, and they recommended roughing with the 220 lightly and as far as conditioning goes scotch brite when needed after the initial sanding. Almost regret sanding the way I did and getting into the surface a bit too much because at heart I love a pretty pot call almost more then the sound of one, but if she runs good oh well!
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Coop1082

Bowguy, do you ever use alcohol pads on yours? Or do you just let the sandpaper do it's work and condition when needed?
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Bowguy

I use alcohol only when needed which if conditioned is very very rarely. Both slick and rough almost never. If you booger em up w something you could though.

Coop1082

I figured the alcohol might come in handy after a muggy Alabama mid morning after having my sweaty hands all over it, but didn't know if it was a necessity or not.
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Bowguy

If you get hand oils on it it'll help. Try to keep em off though

3bailey3

I have just used scotch bite on my Hanks and Lonzo's aluminum the pressure you put on the striker can make it slip, all I can say my birds have loved them some aluminum this year, all gotten one but had 3 others in range and just couldn't close the deal!

Coop1082

I don't believe I'll have to condition for a while! I ran it for almost 20 minutes solid just messing around this afternoon and only had to touch up the striker tip once. Like I said I regret it slightly because of the appearance of the surface now, but since it run like an absolute champ I can't complain! Can't wait to get it in the woods!
CRUSADERS

[/img]