turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any senior citizen hunters here?

Started by longislandloco, March 26, 2017, 03:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longislandloco

Any senior citizen hunters here, has age changed your hunting habits, style and guns, have you simplified things.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

mgm1955

Harder to get off the ground once I'm seated. Gives my hunting partners a chuckle!

2eagles

Man, ya got me worried! What's the limit on senior citizens? I'm 63 and now I'm not sure I'm going hunting this year!   :toothy9:

Greg Massey

Yes, not able to run and gun anymore, i have some brush blinds i hunt in good area's and i use a saddle mount on my gun were i can still see the bead for up close and a scope for little longer shot's , eye's are not as young. I still enjoy going like it was my first day of turkey hunting. I have bought better calls over the years and better equipment overall. Made the switch over to a 20 gauge last year that i built and i really enjoy carrying the lighter gun. Carry lot more water and snacks and just enjoy life and nature and those pretty sunrises. If i kill a turkey it's makes for a pretty good day...Life is to short guy's enjoy everyday...April 1 , it will be around 34 years for me turkey hunting.

Greg Massey

Quote from: 2eagles on March 26, 2017, 07:30:50 PM
Man, ya got me worried! What's the limit on senior citizens? I'm 63 and now I'm not sure I'm going hunting this year!   :toothy9:
FUNNY I AGREE....

2eagles

But seriously at 63 I haven't changed much in my turkey hunting style. I walk in just as far as I used to. I carry as much gear as I used to. But I am more patient than I used to be. I can sit on one place longer than I used to and am happy doing it. And it is getting harder to get up off the ground. And I do take catnaps while hunting. Turkeys and geese are often noisy coming in so I will doze off. Deer and ducks are usually quite so I stay more alert.

renegade19

At 53 I haven't changed much but I THINK I hunt smarter now.  Birds often show me that I don't!

Strutr

I'm going on 66 and still like to run and gun but have dialed down the 'run' part just a notch.  I lightened the load a bit by ditching the heavy 11-87 in favor of a TC Encore.   

GobbleNut

I'm going to hit the big 66 myself this year.  mgm's comment about getting off the ground once I get down is right on the money,...glad I am not the only one.  Another thing along that same line:  when I stumble, I am much more inclined to go all the way to the ground rather than being able to catch my balance.  I used to feel like I was somewhat "graceful" when I fell,....now I just go down in a heap with a big thud.

I still like to think I can go that extra mile to find a gobbler,...but I debate whether or not I really want to make the effort in my mind a lot more than before,...and it takes me longer to get there. 

Although I still really like to kill a gobbler once in a while, that part of the hunt doesn't seem to be quite as important as it once was.  Of course, some of that is due to the fact that I get to hunt a lot more now than I used to, so I am less likely to be concerned about killing a gobbler on any given day.  A good morning in the woods without a kill brings me a lot more satisfaction nowadays than it used to. 

maytom

Will be 63 this fall. Still have the desire and love to get out there every spring season here in NY. I have a tendency to stay put longer now, rather than "Running and Gunning" like when I was younger. That turkey lounger really makes those long waits much more enjoyable!!

oldturk

yep i've down sized quite a bit.will be 74 this year,bought a new chair to help.can't get off ground look like a walrus.hope nobody around to see trying to get up,be great entertainment to any one seeing that.hope to have a few years left.

HFultzjr

I'm not quite a senior yet, (57), but I sure feel like one!
Old injuries haunt me on cold damp days.
I would say I'm slowing down each year and find my lounger or blind more comfortable.
Can't take the cold like I once could.
I'd still be hunting somehow even if my travels didn't take me far for as long as I can.
Somehow, someway.
:OGturkeyhead:

longislandloco

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 26, 2017, 11:59:41 PM
Another thing along that same line:  when I stumble, I am much more inclined to go all the way to the ground rather than being able to catch my balance.  I used to feel like I was somewhat "graceful" when I fell,....now I just go down in a heap with a big thud.

I hear ya here, when I hit the ground I stay still for a minute to make sure everything still moves, LOL. I also stay down to make sure the old heart is still pumpin', had a BIG ONE in 2008.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

Tom Threetoes

I'll turn 70 during the season, but I think maturity has helped me be a better turkey hunter. Sure I don't get around as well as I used to but my ability to sit still has improved. I don't spook as many birds as I used to and my equipment has finally been sorted so I'm not burdened by too much un- necessary stuff to carry around. I enjoy the whole experience now not just the taking of a gobbler.

tg55

I just turned 62.The passion is the same as it was 42 years ago.I have gone from run and gun to sitting in one place alot longer. I have gone to a 20 guage,and dont carry near as much junk in my vest as I used to.I was taught when I was a young man to run to a downed bird.Aint happening nowadays. It might take 30 seconds for me to get up now,and thats with a good hand hold on something.