OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How good/bad are the "modern" triple shot size loads?

Started by Gutsdozer, March 26, 2017, 10:18:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gutsdozer

Hello all,

It has been raining 40 days and 40 nights in my neck of the woods so I have not been able to get out and pattern. When I do have spare time between rain drops it is filled with family activities (and I wouldn't have it any other way). I have my new SA-459 12 gauge turkey gun. The turkey model even. Have not even shot the thing yet and have had it for almost two weeks  :'(

I have the X-full extended, none ported choke that comes with it. I also have a Hevi-13 ported choke, an assortment of flush chokes including modified and full. I also have brand new Sumtoy .650 choke. All Winchester threaded.

I would like to believe that these newer shells with three different sizes (triple beard and 3rd degree) when used with the correct chokes could really offer the best of all worlds. Meaning a forgiving pattern closer in and a killing pattern at 40. I really like the theory but read very mixed reviews. I know many have success with Mag blends but if you can get good results at half the price in a box of ten triple beards why wouldn't you just buy them instead? Although, the 3rd degree does seem a bit pricey for what they are.

I just wanted to hear some opinions on the subject. Test results with or without pics more than welcome also!

BABS9

I shoot a Remington 11-87 with hevi shot choke and 3 1/2" mag blends #5,6,7. Regardless of what others have said they pattern awesome for me and flat out hammer turkeys. I've tried others but always end up back at mag blends.

Gutsdozer

Quote from: BABS9 on March 26, 2017, 11:47:17 AM
I shoot a Remington 11-87 with hevi shot choke and 3 1/2" mag blends #5,6,7. Regardless of what others have said they pattern awesome for me and flat out hammer turkeys. I've tried others but always end up back at mag blends.

How forgiving is your pattern at ranges? Say around 10-15 yards to 35-40 yards?

Philippe

Use Longbeard 3 inch  1 7/8oz 5's with that Sumtoy,I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

BABS9

This is why I shoot them to be honest. I don't get caught up in the how many holes can I get in a 10" circle at 40 yds. I want a good hunting pattern. Something that at 20 yards is still going to open up a bit and give some room for error but at the same time is still going to produce a nice even pattern out to 40yds. I'll post some pics when I can get out and shoot.

Gutsdozer

Quote from: Philippe on March 26, 2017, 12:21:36 PM
Use Longbeard 3 inch  1 7/8oz 5's with that Sumtoy,I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I have a half a box of 3" #5 LB. I will definitely give them a test. 

Gutsdozer

Quote from: BABS9 on March 26, 2017, 12:37:10 PM
This is why I shoot them to be honest. I don't get caught up in the how many holes can I get in a 10" circle at 40 yds. I want a good hunting pattern. Something that at 20 yards is still going to open up a bit and give some room for error but at the same time is still going to produce a nice even pattern out to 40yds. I'll post some pics when I can get out and shoot.

Do you shoot the Longbeard's. I picked up a box of the 3" on sale at a local store.

BABS9

Quote from: Gutsdozer on March 26, 2017, 03:59:12 PM

Do you shoot the Longbeard's. I picked up a box of the 3" on sale at a local store.

I do not. I tried them out didn't like them. Too tight at close ranges. My brother used to use them and has since switched to mag blends and hasn't looked back. I'm sure they work great for some people. And they may pattern well for you just not for my setup or taste. If you got em on sale definitely worth a try though. Like I said may work for you.

Philippe

Quote from: BABS9 on March 26, 2017, 04:53:06 PM
Quote from: Gutsdozer on March 26, 2017, 03:59:12 PM

I do not. I tried them out didn't like them. Too tight at close ranges. My brother used to use them and has since switched to mag blends and hasn't looked back. I'm sure they work great for some people. And they may pattern well for you just not for my setup or taste. If you got em on sale definitely worth a try though. Like I said may work for you.

They are indeed a tight shooting shell, great for those that hunt over open fields. I find that moving up to the 4's and a more open choke made it more friendly in the wooded areas where something might pop out at 20 yards or less.

allaboutshooting

I have found the new blended shells, 3rd Degree and Triple Beard to perform as advertised. It is however a matter sometimes of finding the right choke for them. In my experience, they are excellent compromise shells. They will not deliver those high numbers at 40 yards but they throw forgiving patterns at intermediate ranges and after all, that is the true purpose of those shells.

The Magnum Blend shells are another matter. They are deadly at 40 and any place in between. My only objection in the past was the increased recoil. Now I shoot the #4, #5 #7 Magnum Blend shells and to my shoulder at least, the recoil is much less but they really rock a turkey or a target.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Gutsdozer

Always love pics and thanks in advance!

Gutsdozer

I did get a chance to pattern with the Sumtoy for a few minutes Sunday. The Hevi-13 #7 average of three shots in a 10" circle was 193. I was surprised by the 18 yard pattern of the LB #6 most of all. It looked fairly forgiving.  I am having photobucket issues or I would post pics. Shot a single LB #5 pattern at 40 then rains of Biblical proportions hit. Didn't even attempt to run out and get the target. After is stopped all that was left was a sad torn up lump of a paper. I hope to get out and try the triple beards soon'ish. Figured that the shell I was most interested in seeing results from was the only one I couldn't shoot...

kdfester

I shoot the 3in triple beard shells through the factory choke on a H&R single shot and they rocked the two turkeys last year. One was 40yds approx. and the other around 25yds.  Both dead right there.