OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I survived...let's hear some survival stories.

Started by fallhnt, March 25, 2017, 05:48:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

When I was young we would go bow hunting elk. As a former Boy Scout I had some survival training.  Well I got lost when I thought I was taking a shortcut to my truck. A brief panic set in and I realized I was spending the night in the mountains in September. I didn't take a fire starter because I had a lighter and tp. Well believe it or not,the tp would NOT light and the lighter broke. It was a cold night for sure. Story two....A couple years ago while bowfishing at night by myself,I fell into the river.I was standing on one leg swatting at bugs on my other leg. Well I lost my balance and fell in. I sure wasn't going to let go of my bow and was able to swim hard enough to catch the back of my boat. I now wear a pfd at all times. All stories to learn from and laugh at now.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Old Gobbler

We flipped a 14 foot john boat under power on the moorhaven canal on lake okeechobee on a Sunday afternoon back in 1978 , I was 8 years old at the time .....heavily laden in cold weather gear cause we were duck hunting

The motor was acting up again and wouldn't start -- the drive gear was accedently placed in gear one time as my father struggled with it ---motor tilted to 90 deg angle , what resulted was the boat hauling up on angle and flipping right upside down on top of me , it took me a quarter second to figure out what was going on and I lunged rearward to the middle seat from the front and grabbed by shotgun , I was probably about at a sideways 90 deg angle when I managed to grab it

Next thing I remember I'm facing up with my head about 5 foot under water , and I'm sinking cause of all the clothes and I'm holding onto a shotgun.....I didn't want to let go of the shotgun ......I struggled for about 30 seconds finally , I was able to grab the rail of the boat and pull myself up for air

My fathers ithaca auto , however ....lays on the bottom of the lake to this day , it took us about 6 hours to row back to the ramp , Sunday afternoon on the lake ......forget about seeing anyone

Fast forward it 20 years , I remember distinctly hauling that POS motor out of my parents house to the curb on bulk day -- good riddance

The Spainish laurona double barrel .410 shotgun with engraved receiver , and figured walnut stocks sits in my safe to this day   :cowboy:
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

HFultzjr

Motoring along in a 16 footer about 15-20 mph @ night.
Came upon a small John Boat with no lights.
Missed him by about 2 feet at full speed, by taking a 90 degree at last second.
Got yelled at for spoiling their fishing!
:newmascot:

NYshotgunner

I survived raising five kids and giving them all a college education.......LOL
"Don't go pokin' at it, don't over think it"
NRA Life Member, Veteran

Happy

Had a few tense moments with black bears but that's about it. A momma bear at 20 yards ain't nothing to take lightly. Almost got run over by another.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

BBD

Opening morning in Louisiana today...IF I go back in going to take an orange vest to where anytime I'm moving!

MDSTRUTNRUT

Was bowhunting as a teenager and walking out on an old woods lane in a hardwoods.  Kept hearing this sharp crack then a whistling vrooom.  As I came around a small bend I see a guy with a rifle aiming at me on the road and he almost jumped out of his skin.  He a placed a target head high on a sapling in the road and was target practicing with a 22.   That whistling was that bullet zinging by me, I'll never forget that sound and have heard that since, learned to DUCK AND YELL!

akp

I'll relate to turkey hunting.... I spotted some guys by a tree one morning right after I placed my decoys out.  It was just getting light.  We were both set up on the same roasted birds.  I moved out of their line of fire right before they put about 50 pellets in my decoy. 

Guy tracked down my number and called me several days later apologizing.  Just showed that things can go wrong in a hurry.  I would have had a face full of pellets from about 60 yards if I hadn't moved.

gergg

I was pulling my brother water skiing when I heard this strange noise behind the rear boat seat, I stopped the boat, lifted the rear seat and flames roared up 8 feet in the air, I jumped out of the boat and swam to shore. The fire department had to sink the boat and we found out that what had happened is when taking a sharp turn the battery tipped over and both terminals touched the metal gas tank at the same time burning a hole right through the tank and igniting the 10 gallons of gas. The fire department said it was a good thing the tank was slap full or it could have exploded....scared the crap out of me.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

gergg

My father was hunting on a Florida WMA(30 years ago), he had a hen decoy out in a cypress flat, he didn't realize there was a buggy trail 100 yards or so away from his setup, well he sees this guy riding on a bicycle, he stops and quickly aims a scoped pistol at the decoy and fires....perfect hit right through the body, problem is the decoy, the shooter, and my dad were in alignment with each other and the bullet wizzed right by my dad. Pops yelled at the guy, but he just took off without saying anything....it was illegal to shoot turkeys with a pistol back then(let alone a hen in the Spring)....knucklehead.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Tail Feathers

I once laid down across some washed up trees alongside a fast moving creek to retrieve a lure caught in a rootball.  When I got up I realized I'd laid my feet on or within inches of two large cottonmouths sunning.  Retroactive heart attack!

:police:Was chasing a stolen Jeep SUV that was spotted at a gas station.  The guy crossed into oncoming traffic.  The resulting head on collision flipped him upside down and on fire.  Three of us  were trying extract the driver but he was dead.  Fire Dept arrived and put the fire out.  That's when we found out the guy had just filled two 5 gallon plastic gas cans at that gas station.  The roof area of the flipped Jeep SUV was filled with 10 gallons of gasoline that somehow didn't catch on fire or explode, even though the plastic cans both had large holes burned through. 
I attribute that save to our daily prayer in shift meeting. :jesus-cross:
I've been shot at, but a bad guy missing isn't uncommon.  Gas that won't light...well I believe. :bible:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Farmboy27

I saw a gobbler from the road in a field and drove around a corner, parked, and went after him. I had hunted the bird a few times before and figured I had to set up tight if I was going to have a chance. The leaves were wet and I got set up within 60 yards of him. Got him to 40 yards and I heard a vehicle stop on the road. I saw the turkey go alert and was hoping it didn't spook. Suddenly, I heard something smack above my head and saw the turkey flopping. A split second later I heard the shot. Someone shot the bird from the road with a rifle and drove away. The bullet lodged in the tree I was sitting against about 4" above my head. Never did find out who did the shooting. All I know is they shot a gobbler with an 11.5" beard and 1 3/8" spurs and just drove away. And came within 4" of killing me.

stinkpickle

My first year deer hunting in Iowa, I set up right next some public land overlooking a creek bottom.  Some clowns started a deer drive and unloaded on everything jumping out of the ditches.  I could hear the slugs smacking the branches around me.  I crawled behind a tree and laid as flat as I could.  I heard no fewer than 50 rounds sent in my direction.  Needless to say, I've since found a new hunting spot...

Ericbrooks

When I was younger me and my buddies was introduced wakeboarding. We would go in the late afternoon/evenings and ride till dark. One night we was headed in probably running 30+ and suddenly a boat directly in front of us flipped on his lights in the pitch blackness. We swerved and didn't miss him by more 4'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BowBendr

In the fall of '09 I was black powder deer hunting on a ridge in the NC mountains that was covered in white oak acorns. About an hour before dark a momma bear came in with 3 triplet cubs. She fed around while they played. One of the cubs chased another one up the poplar tree I had climbed. When the cub saw me it made a funny weird sound, and in 1 second the mom was at the base of my stand about 22' up.....
She growled and popped at me for a bit and then backed down the tree showing her teeth the whole way.
She milled around for a minute or so, looked up and here she came again.
I waited until she actually got up in the stand with me before I shot her at a range of about 5 inches. The muzzle blast burnt all the hair off her forehead.
She fell out 22 feet and it sounded like a vw beetle hit the ground when she landed. My api climber and both my boots still carry the scars of where she had me. Only thing i my life that I killed but didn't want to kill. I can still smell the burning hair and I dream about it every now and then......

Gods of Thunder