turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

No gobbling

Started by g8rvet, March 23, 2017, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Been to three different places, 2 private, one public and have yet to hear a gobble!   There are turkey tracks, Toms, on all locations and I know I have been in earshot of a longbeard every single day.   Hunted hard yesterday and called a hen to me in the deep swamp, but she did not have a Tom following.  Was a fun time though, listening to her and talking back and forth. We had a nice conversation in a beautiful swamp anyways. 

Work is interfering with my turkey hunting for sure!  My favorite part of the year - there is always tomorrow! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

TauntoHawk

I think the most frustrating thing in turkey hunting are those days where nothing talks and it seems like they crawled under rocks, especially when it happens in good weather. I agree there are still always fun amazing things to be taken away from each day afield but those quiet days can be brutal when you get a few in a row.

I remember a day last year, perfect weather went to a bunch of great properties and couldn't buy half an obble or so much as spot a bird out strutting. The next two days temps dropped out with brutal wind and so cold we had snow flurries zipping around but had gobblers talking the whole time until a put my final tag on a broke spur bird.

I've also seen where it seems that the birds almost have a gobbling hang over and are not in the mood to do anything the very day after they burned the place down  with gobbles and strutting even though conditions seem the exact same.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I have been every morning since the 15th. I have heard one gobbler on the 18th. He gobbled 40 times but would not come. I called up 2 hens that were between me and the  gob. They went to him and I haven't heard a gobble since. I have been to 2 different wma's and 2 private land spot's. Nothing gobbling.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

ThunderChickenGetter

Been hearing plenty of bird here in East Tennessee firing off. Still have another week before I can get after them. Going to take a youth Saturday morning and see if we can't get on one.

g8rvet

And again.  My nephew had 5 different birds gobbling yesterday while I was at work.  Truck drove by them an hour after fly down and messed up the hunt.  Went back today.  Nothing.  Not a word.  Someone is putting a rubber band on their beaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

mgm1955

Keep after them. Good luck!