turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Music

Started by Jwall, March 21, 2017, 10:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwall

Any of yall ever listened to Sturgill Simpson? Man, as I drove back to east tn this past weekend to get ready for opening day I was listening to this radio app on my phone and he came on and Ive been jamming to him ever since. I think him and Jamey Johnson are my two favorite country music artist of this era. Who are yall listening to?

Cottonmouth

Jamey Johnson and Sturgill Simpson is all I listen to on Pandora. I can't stand the new "bro country" like Luke Bryan.  Makes me want to puke just seeing him.

Jwall

Quote from: Cottonmouth on March 21, 2017, 11:08:55 PM
Jamey Johnson and Sturgill Simpson is all I listen to on Pandora. I can't stand the new "bro country" like Luke Bryan.  Makes me want to puke just seeing him.

Im with ya buddy. Cody Jinks is pretty good too if you aint heard of him. Im just thinking of what I plan on listening to come early morning opening day. Last year my buddy and I listened to Willie and Merle and we doubled up on opening day but didn't have any luck the rest of the season. Im gonna switch it up this year.

Rzrbac

I generally listen to the old stuff..Haggard, Jones, Jennings but I am a fan of Jamey Johnson too.

If it's real country music I'll listen to it, the new stuff... :z-dizzy:

VaBoy

Robert Earl Keen ! Robert Earl Keen ! Robert Earl Keen !

Cut N Run

Quote from: VaBoy on March 22, 2017, 08:19:42 AM
Robert Earl Keen ! Robert Earl Keen ! Robert Earl Keen !

I saw Robert Earl Keen at the Carolina Theatre in Durham, N.C. last Friday 3-12-17.  Great show, as usual.  I'll go see him anytime he plays within 100 miles of here.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

RiverRoost

Sturgill Simpson is awesome. His latest album is incredible and the fact that he wrote it for he son is that much better and you can definitely pick that up by listening to the meanings of the songs.

Cody jinks is an awesome up and comer as well. There isn't a bad song on his latest album I'm Not The Devil. Check him out as well.  You'll be glad. Oh yeah and I guarantee you Hippies and Cowboys by him will be on repeat, it's on a different album.

Fullfan

Quote from: Rzrbac on March 22, 2017, 05:47:38 AM
I generally listen to the old stuff..Haggard, Jones, Jennings

Same here but also like Cash, Hank Jr. Conway, and Chrystal Gale not to mention a few. Satellite radio is a good thing. 

Don't gobble at me...

kjnengr

Now we're talkin' about my kind of music.  Most of the crap on the radio today isn't country.

You can add Whitey Morgan and the 78's to that list.  Also check out Justin Townes Earle (Steve Earle's son) for a little more country/folk/americana blend.

2eagles

As I'm reading this one of my favorite tunes just came on the radio.  Glorious Day by Casting Crowns

Kylongspur88

Sturgill is a good guy. I used to go watch him and his band play around Lexington when I was in college. I've also hung around him a few times in social settings. He one of the most down to earth/humble people you will meet and I'm glad he's been successful with his music, especially after giving it up for a while. I like his newest album, but meta-modern sounds is a great one too.

Jwall

I heard a few songs by Ray Scott and he aint bad either. Check out his song "The Ugly One" had me laughing and made me think of my two buddies back in east tn.

1iagobblergetter

AC/DC,Van Halen,Drowning Pool, 3 Doors Down, Black Sabbath,FFDP, Def Leppard, Ratt, Dokken, Maiden,Fleetwood Mac....etc...That's where it's at fellas...

Big Guy

If you like Sturgill Simpson check out William Elliott Whitmore.  More Americana/Folk than country from down in Lee county Iowa.  You'll never hear him on commercial radio, but he has a small and loyal following.  I've seen him a few times live, always a great show.

Old Devils
Diggin My Grave

Another one of my favorites is Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers.  If you grew up in the 90's it's basically the Refreshments

Tell Yer Mama
Jack vs Jose

My musical tastes run the gamut, name a genre and I can name some songs I like.

kyturkeyhunter4

Any Hank Jr. and Waylon and I'm good to go.