only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What to do when.....

Started by MShillhunter, March 21, 2017, 10:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: WNCTracker on March 22, 2017, 05:23:33 PM
Quote from: guesswho on March 21, 2017, 07:50:00 PM
I'd walk away.   Swing way around and and try to be on the other side of them, or at least past half way.  Then I'd sit tight and just listen and adapt from there.   If he didn't gobble anymore after an hour or so I'd Cutt at him and see what happens, no response I'd move closer and Cutt again and so on.  No response after three or four tries I'd ease out and try him in a couple of days.
Agreed. For me Sitting and waiting and waiting if theyre not moved isn't as fun as being on the offensive. Even if I didn't get the bird I'd have been more excited. Kid of like sitting in interstate traffic an hour to go 5 miles  to get home or taking a 1 hour detour to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In taking that detour you take a chance of hitting a pothole also.. I would rather back out and hunt them another day. One day not responsive the next day a new ball game. I'm not interested in bumping the bird or birds. That's why it takes patience's sitting in traffic ...most of the time taking the offensive you still loose but agree you might win 1 out of 10 tries. That's turkey hunting..

WNCTracker

True. I guess it depends whether you can hunt the next day or the next week too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 22, 2017, 05:51:31 PMmost of the time taking the offensive you still loose but agree you might win 1 out of 10 tries. That's turkey hunting..
If I ran 1 out of 10 I'd probably back out and try him another day too. ;D
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Quote from: guesswho on March 22, 2017, 06:47:19 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 22, 2017, 05:51:31 PMmost of the time taking the offensive you still loose but agree you might win 1 out of 10 tries. That's turkey hunting..
If I ran 1 out of 10 I'd probably back out and try him another day too. ;D
You just need a little more patience's and slow down... you just need to count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

guesswho

My attention span fades after about 3
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

TRG3

Without leaving and returning another day, it seems that you have at least three options, as follows:
1. Return her calls in an aggressive manner. She just might come to you looking for the "hen" that needs to be put in her place. This has worked for me several times.
2. At some point in returning the real hen's calls in an aggressive manner and she doesn't come to you, add some gobbles, giving the impression that an intruder tom has not only moved in on the new "hen" but also is trespassing on the real gobbler's territory, challenging the peck order. This is my favorite way to call a gobbler and has worked for me many times.
3. Move away from the gobbler/hen, still calling aggressively, giving the impression that you (hen) are loosing interest. A greedy gobbler just might try to gather the leaving "hen" as well as the real one he has right in front of him. As any turkey hunter knows, a turkey will do what a turkey wants to do. You never know what might work today but not tomorrow.

turkaholic

Quote from: TRG3 on March 22, 2017, 09:55:56 PM
Without leaving and returning another day, it seems that you have at least three options, as follows:
1. Return her calls in an aggressive manner. She just might come to you looking for the "hen" that needs to be put in her place. This has worked for me several times.
2. At some point in returning the real hen's calls in an aggressive manner and she doesn't come to you, add some gobbles, giving the impression that an intruder tom has not only moved in on the new "hen" but also is trespassing on the real gobbler's territory, challenging the peck order. This is my favorite way to call a gobbler and has worked for me many times.
3. Move away from the gobbler/hen, still calling aggressively, giving the impression that you (hen) are loosing interest. A greedy gobbler just might try to gather the leaving "hen" as well as the real one he has right in front of him. As any turkey hunter knows, a turkey will do what a turkey wants to do. You never know what might work today but not tomorrow.
yes to this, I get aggressive after trying the patience game first. I will try a hen rape scenario. I use my wing scraping bark and and leaves and flop the wing to mimic a gobbler mating a hen. Throw a gobble with my gobble tube in there and hang on. This works at times and not at others. You just need to be in the right moment and have confidence in doing it.
live to hunt hunt to live

TauntoHawk

I'm playing the "Up one" game with her, every sound she makes I mimic but add something to the end.. if she cutts 4 times I will cutt 4 times and add some yelps if she does a long yelp run I will do a yelp run but pop some cutts in. If you can drag her in he will be right behind

if that doesn't work but she's still there talking i might try and gobble at her again to bring her in or challenge him for her.. My mouth call gobblers aren't always bold and true so I mix in jake yelps like I'm a half cocked young gun that needs a beating  :z-guntootsmiley:

Making the physical move on them depends on topo, noise, cover and if I think another position is a better one than where I'm at now
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

J.D. Shellnut

Like everybody said. Pick a fight! But I will say this. You better not move a inch if she comes in because she is going to be on high alert and any movement she sees shes coming to investigate!
60% of the time it works every time!

kyturkeyhunter4

I would mimic every sound she makes, and get her fired up.

HFultzjr

As others have said........tick off the hen.
Give her the most aggressive calling you can.
Nothing like 2 girls fighting, with the boys watching right with them.
:character0029: