OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What to do when.....

Started by MShillhunter, March 21, 2017, 10:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MShillhunter

Sunday afternoon I went out and walked 100 yards from my truck and had one respond to my box call and he wasn't 70 yards away.  We dove on the other side of the road let things settle down a bit and called again and got another response.  He sounded closer this time so I was just going to shut up and let him come in.  About that time a hen with him starts going crazy.. yelping, cutting, clucking... I mimicked her twice and he gobbled at us and she carried on.  After that the gobbler never made another noise while she was making all sorts of racket for over an hour and never seemed like she left a 25 sq foot area.

What do y'all do in this situation?  Keep talking to the hen hoping she will come investigate and he follows or just shut up all together? 

We eventually tried to get bold and go around and get in the bottom on the other side of them, but the woods were so loud we think it scared them.  In hindsight we should've just waited there all afternoon, but she wasn't moving anywhere and he quit gobbling...  :OGturkeyhead:

DumpTruckTurkey

I would have waited and prob kept mimicking her... or left and came back the next day.

I would not have bumped them... Ive done that too many times.

chcltlabz

Mimic her  every sound, only louder, longer and nastier.   When she fires up, get nasty right back!
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: chcltlabz on March 21, 2017, 04:16:09 PM
Mimic her  every sound, only louder, longer and nastier.   When she fires up, get nasty right back!
X2. Get her upset and watch the fireworks. Seen it several times before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

surehuntsalot

when ever you have a hen carry on like that, get louder and nastier than her, tick her off so she comes looking for a fight and he will follow right along
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

eddie234

X3 if you can get her to come in hopefully he'll be in tow.

Greg Massey

Regardless sometimes it doesn't matter what you do. It's just wasn't meant to be...A old turkey hunter told me one time the ones you think your going to kill are the ones that you don't and the ones you don't think your going to kill are the ones you do...Turkeys being Turkeys...

Rzrbac

Pick on her, call to her hard and keep her pressured.  Sometimes she will come in and bring the gobbler with her. Sometimes the gobbler will hang back and she comes in by herself extremely ticked. Other times she will lead him away and break your heart. 

I have got up and flushed them and called them back but that tactic has failed more than it has worked so if you don't have another bird to go to you may not want to try that.

guesswho

I'd walk away.   Swing way around and and try to be on the other side of them, or at least past half way.  Then I'd sit tight and just listen and adapt from there.   If he didn't gobble anymore after an hour or so I'd Cutt at him and see what happens, no response I'd move closer and Cutt again and so on.  No response after three or four tries I'd ease out and try him in a couple of days.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mgm1955

:agreed:

Gooserbat

I've killed more than one Tom that was  a tow of a sassy hen that though she would get the best of me.  Challenge her to a cutting contest.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 21, 2017, 11:56:59 PM
I've killed more than one Tom that was  a tow of a sassy hen that though she would get the best of me.  Challenge her to a cutting contest.
x2 Heck ya....That's when it gets exciting and fun...

saltysenior

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 21, 2017, 07:14:54 PM
Regardless sometimes it doesn't matter what you do. It's just wasn't meant to be...A old turkey hunter told me one time the ones you think your going to kill are the ones that you don't and the ones you don't think your going to kill are the ones you do...Turkeys being Turkeys...

so very true,, but that don't sell magazines, tv shows, or turkey hunting stuff..

ilbucksndux

I would do one of two things. Either make the same sounds she does mimic her every call except louder and nastier..................or I would get between the two of them and call but not as aggressive.

Gary Bartlow

WNCTracker

Quote from: guesswho on March 21, 2017, 07:50:00 PM
I'd walk away.   Swing way around and and try to be on the other side of them, or at least past half way.  Then I'd sit tight and just listen and adapt from there.   If he didn't gobble anymore after an hour or so I'd Cutt at him and see what happens, no response I'd move closer and Cutt again and so on.  No response after three or four tries I'd ease out and try him in a couple of days.
Agreed. For me Sitting and waiting and waiting if theyre not moved isn't as fun as being on the offensive. Even if I didn't get the bird I'd have been more excited. Kid of like sitting in interstate traffic an hour to go 5 miles  to get home or taking a 1 hour detour to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk