Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good complement to Halloran Twisted Sister?

Started by Coop1082, March 18, 2017, 05:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop1082

I'm primarily a diaphragm caller with not much experience with pot. This year I purchased a Halloran twisted sister and couldn't be more pleased with the sound it gives. 100% turkey. However I'm in the market for another pot to complement and or swap up its sound. My father runs a Lonnie Snead slate that is quite melodious, but we hunt ALOT together. That being said I'm looking for opinions on different surfaces to change up the sound and give something that might work when the crystal or slate won't. Aluminum? Ceramic? Give me some opinions fellas!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Coop1082

I'm very interested in ceramic.. I've seen some say they love them and others say they weren't a fan of ceramic. I'd like to hear more on it and aluminum. From what I understand ceramic and aluminum throw out the most "different" sound out of most pot calls.
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Bowguy

I say aluminum. It makes birds gobble when others don't seem to do the trick.
Schafers aluminum pots have been absolutely killers for me. Best meat calls I've ever owned.  Dawkins stoned aluminum in plastic pot(seems to pierce the woods n grab their ear), Lonzo stoned aluminum, Mark Cornelious aluminum, Dustin Jones aluminum (might be most realistic sounding one I own) A few others are harder to get but the calls mentioned are some of my favorites.

MikeStaten

Can't go wrong with a Lonzo aluminum.  I prefer the Anodized version but the stoned is really good as well and easier to play than the anodized.  I've got his anodized in acrylic pot and orange agate pot and stoned in Goncalo Alves pot and each sounds awesome. If I could only have one, it would be the anodized in acrylic.  It has a high front end and rolls over real easy.  The goncalo is the best looking pot I've ever seen.

If you want real easy to play and no conditioning required, checkout Jimmy Schaffers aluminum calls.  He uses bead blasted anodized aluminum that really grips the striker so it won't slip. 

Bowguy

Quote from: Coop1082 on March 18, 2017, 06:20:46 PM
I'm very interested in ceramic.. I've seen some say they love them and others say they weren't a fan of ceramic. I'd like to hear more on it and aluminum. From what I understand ceramic and aluminum throw out the most "different" sound out of most pot calls.
Imo I'm one who's not a big ceramic guy. In fact no one I know favors them. In fairness they do throw out a dif sound but seem harder to run. I have a Kaiser w Steve Torman (West Augusta on here) black locust striker that sounds real good. Had a fellow here yesterday running calls. He liked the sound but it's hard to run for many as I stated.
As Mike Staten posted the Lonzo acrylic aluminum is real good but I have taken 220 grit sandpaper to mine. Lonzo supplies chalk but mine still slipped. Scratching the surface lowers the value if you try n sell it but makes call more user friendly as it does w all anondized

Coop1082

I appreciate the info guys I'll definitely take a look at all the above mentioned. Anybody have any experience with the Hanks padauk aluminum? Just an question since I've got a buddy out of state that swears by it? I've heard nothing but stellar reviews on Lonzo so stuff so that will forsure  be an option. MDTOM id love to hear a sound clip from your ceramic if you don't mind!
CRUSADERS

[/img]

beakbuster10

I love my dawkins stoned aluminum over slate in the plastic pot. I also love my Gary Anderson (day break) ceramic in his paduak pot. Mike Yinglings copper in a cast cactus pot is a phenomenal call as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

I love ceramics houndstooth cherry ceramic with a yellowheart striker sounds a sassy young hen. Schaffer ceramic and aluminum are great too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MikeStaten

Quote from: Coop1082 on March 18, 2017, 06:50:16 PM
I appreciate the info guys I'll definitely take a look at all the above mentioned. Anybody have any experience with the Hanks padauk aluminum? Just an question since I've got a buddy out of state that swears by it? I've heard nothing but stellar reviews on Lonzo so stuff so that will forsure  be an option. MDTOM id love to hear a sound clip from your ceramic if you don't mind!

I've got Hanks Aluminum in Padauk pot and his aluminum in maple pot too.  If you want me to run em over the phone for you, on your number.

dejake

If you want something different than the sister and slate, I'd go with copper.

Coop1082

MikeStaten are you available tomorrow? My 2 year old is about to hit the hay here soon and I'll be on shift tomorrow (firefighter) so I should have some time to listen over the phone if that's alright with you?0
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Coop1082

Also I appreciate all the opinions guys. I know it's all personal preference but just having some options helps a ton. Keep them coming! The Sister has already struck one opening day that me and a buddy couldn't seal the deal on. Just wouldn't cross the river, but after my first custom pot call purchase with the Halloran I think I've officially caught the bug and look forward to venturing out.
CRUSADERS

[/img]

MikeStaten

Yep, let me know when.  Afternoon is probably best.    Coincidentally, I'm putting my 2 year old son to bed right now. 

Coop1082

Lol they are a blast aren't they? Ill shoot you a PM Mike. I should be available anytime tomorrow afternoon before 2 central and after 4 granted it's a slow weekend.
CRUSADERS

[/img]

OldSwamper

Halloran double glass is a good change-up to the twisted sister.  Little bit cleaner sound but still a rollover