turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

painting my gun

Started by Big Willie, March 17, 2017, 12:57:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Willie

I got a 870 express I am wanting to paint.   Any tips on how to do a good job. It is a wooden stock gun.

ilbucksndux

If I can remember Ill look for the pics of the last time I did my gun. Start out with it CLEAN. Wipe it down with denatured alcohol or similar. I used etching primer first and gave it two real good even coats then a base coat of that tan color and then used a hand full of weeds from the yard as a stencil of sorts and hit it with green and brown...........Ill try to find pics so it makes more since
Gary Bartlow

ilbucksndux

Never mind. I found where I got the idea. http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36000

My end results are like the pics except for the grass and reeds
Gary Bartlow

fallhnt

Thanks for the link. That gun turned out nice. I've seen the same thing done on duck boats with vacuum hose and dowl rods.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

wvmntnhick

Clean it well with acetone to get rid of most oils. Some guys will even put the metal parts in the oven a while to help evaporate any residual oil but it's not necessary. If the stock has a gloss finish u may want to remove that so the paint adheres better. Then let the paint fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

taylorjones20

Alive only by the Grace Of God

Sand Man

I've hand painted several guns.  You can make it as simple or as complex as you want.  My current gun started life as a Remington 870 Youth 20ga.  I stripped the gun completely down, taped up the parts I didn't want paint in/on, sanded, cleaned, primed, resanded, primed, painted, and coated with two coats of clear.  When I tapped off the areas I didn't want paint, I taped in coat hangers so I could handle/hold the parts while painting and hang to dry when finished.  The main thing is to make sure all oil is off the gun and dry then lay down a good layer of primer for the paint to stick to.  My paint job has held up as well or better than any dip jobs I've had done on guns going on 7 years now.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

Strutr

Cool paint job, Sand Man!  Back when I was painting turkey guns with flat primer, they never looked anywhere near as professional looking that.   

Sand Man

Quote from: Strutr on March 17, 2017, 11:14:10 AM
Cool paint job, Sand Man!  Back when I was painting turkey guns with flat primer, they never looked anywhere near as professional looking that.   

Thanks.  Oddly enough that was the 1st gun I hand painted.  I used rattle can paint I had lying around my shop.  It did take me 10s if not over 100 hours.  I've learned as I've gone.  I don't get near as complex with the others as I did that one.  Less is more!

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

tha bugman

that gun looks awesome!!!

catman529

I did a video on mine 2 years ago and the paint still looks just as good today. Video covers the entire process.

http://youtu.be/VDUxdeLPWNE

Gooserbat

Me thinks that the guns with a light base coat vs a dark base looks better.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WNCTracker

Go to the DIY section. There's a good post there I initially followed. Was really happy with my predator paint job using tan base coat and made decals out of painters tape and wax paper as seen on YouTube for the browns blacks and greens. I found the rustoleum camo flat was much better than the krylon. Also the krylon matte clear was not that good. Get the Valspar brand it's awesome but let the paint dry a couple days before clear coating or it gets foggy.  Just like most things, the work is mostly prepping. Use the bircheood Casey degreaser and scrub a few times. Make sure to wear gloves to keep oil off barrel. I then used alcohol on the gun before priming it. After that it's all fun. Good luck

supremepredator

ive been using the hunters speciality vinyl tape. Cost about 5-7 bucks and only takes a few hours to do a good job. I used a blow dryer to mold the tape around corners and used an exacto knife to trim around the checkering, corners, receiver, etc.
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

kjnengr

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 18, 2017, 12:25:50 AM
Me thinks that the guns with a light base coat vs a dark base looks better.

I agree.  :agreed:

Also I like the spray paint / sponge technique the best.