turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rifle hunting states

Started by fallhnt, March 16, 2017, 06:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

I seen a hunting show and they were shooting turkeys with rifles in WY. What other states allow rifle hunting for turkey?
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Uncle Nicky

I know Texas and Virginia do, I think West Virginia does. Georgia allows muzzleloading rifles.Pennsylvania allows rifles in the fall. I'm sure there are more.

WV TURKEY THUG

We can shoot them with rifles here in wv.

wislnwings

If I'm not mistaken South Dakota does.

Gobble!

WV you can spring or fall. MD you can in the fall.

WildTigerTrout

Hunting turkeys with rifles in the fall here in Pennsylvania has been a tradition for many years even before we had a spring turkey season.  I have two specialized fall turkey guns.  A Ruger 77/22 All-Weather Laminate/ HB  22 Hornet under a 3x9 Leupold and a early 70's vintage O/U Ithaca/Tikka Turkey Gun in 222 Remington/12 Ga. under a 2x7 Leupold.  I carry the latter the most as I like having a choice between the shotgun or rifle barrel.

I have a long time friend who has hunted turkeys longer than I can remember, fall and spring.  In the fall he uses an old Remington Model 722  222 Rem.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

neal

Not sure all parts but I know some parts of FL you can use a rifle
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

fallhnt

That's way more than I thought. Interesting about the fall tradition out east toof. Be safe

mtns2hunt

Article in the paper in Va this morning stating that more turkeys are killed with a rifle than a shotgun. Would never have thought.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Kylongspur88

Just curious, but where do you aim with a rifle? Wing butt like with a bow?

Greg Massey

I know in Mo. people have been doing it for years illegal ....

Squoose

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 16, 2017, 09:31:08 PM
Article in the paper in Va this morning stating that more turkeys are killed with a rifle than a shotgun. Would never have thought.

Those are fall season statistics.  I'd presume that a lot of those are opportunistic kills by deer hunters.  Not all, but most.

I would be curious to see the breakdown of VA spring turkey harvest by weapon.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Squoose on March 16, 2017, 10:48:57 PM

Those are fall season statistics.  I'd presume that a lot of those are opportunistic kills by deer hunters.  Not all, but most.

I would be curious to see the breakdown of VA spring turkey harvest by weapon.
Is that fall season include both male and female turkeys ?

fallhnt

For the state of VA? That to is interesting.

fallhnt

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 16, 2017, 10:31:32 PM
I know in Mo. people have been doing it for years illegal ....
That would be a few people poaching in fall. Im sure that isn't wide spread. Sounds like local lore mostly. Fall turkey season is over before rifle season opens in MO. This kind of sh!t happens in every state by slobs every year.