OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Win 1300 Choke recommendation

Started by UpperTully, March 16, 2017, 02:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpperTully

This is my first year shooting a 20ga since I don't feel up to lugging around my ole A5 this year. So I've cleaned up my Winchester 1300 28", and picked up some 3" Federal HW 1.5oz #7's today. I'm looking for input on a good choke for this gun that isn't breaking the bank. I'm also interested in hearing from others who are shooting a similar setup on what to expect with patterns, range and any advice since I'm new to shooting a 20ga for turkeys.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sevetts

I have a short barreled 1300, I've got a bunch of patterns on here with that gun over the years. Buy you a carlson extended non ported in 575 and kill turkeys as far as you need to. You won't beat it for under $30. Your 1300 will shoot well, but make sure it's shooting to poa, that's the hardest part with 1300s it seems. Good luck

UpperTully

I was looking at the Carlson ext non ported and was sure which would be better, the 575 or the 565

Could you elaborate what you mean make sure it shoots POA? What do I do if it doesn't? Rifled sights?

sevetts

I don't have any experience with the 565 but I think it is a flush choke, if it is extended it will probably be good but I know the 575 is.  Your gun may shoot to poa, there is only one way to find out, you'll have to shoot it. Most of the 20ga 1300s have poi issues, mine included. One shoots a foot to the right, one shoots a foot to the left, one shoots a foot high, etc. But they usually throw dense patterns. Shoot at something big, cardboard box, ply wood, etc. Wrapping paper is my favorite, just cut and tape and keep going. You just need to see where the densest part of your pattern is. If it's off then there's lots of options. You can find some adjustable sights which will be your cheapest option. If it's drilled and tapped you could buy a base and put any dot/scope you wanted. If you have a vent rib but it's not drilled and tapped there are universal rails that mount to the vent rib and extend back to allow a scope or red dot to be mounted. Good luck, let us know how it goes

UpperTully

Carlson have a extended 565 they are offering now. It seems the 575 is more common. I'll order one and try it out.

Thanks for the info

wvmntnhick

Might contact Clark (allaboutshooting is his name on here) and see if he's got anymore of the Swarm tubes left. He swears by them. There's one in my 1300 but the weather hasn't allowed me to get out to pattern recently.