turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NEF good turkey gun bone stock

Started by jbo225, March 15, 2017, 04:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbo225

So I have a NEF 20G single shot modified (bone Stock) and was wonder would this be a good turkey gun if so out to what range and what shells are people running in theirs

wvmntnhick

Modified choke? Get it to a gunsmith and get it threaded for tubes bud. Otherwise, I'd be wanting to smell his breath regardless the shell I ran through that gun. You might get acceptable performance out of the longbeards or the federal HW, but I'm betting that's not the case. I tried LB's in a modified choked NEF 12 ga and it was good for about 25 yards. No way I'd consider it with the smaller payload in the 20 ga. IMHO

jbo225

Thanks and yes modified choke its between that or a Remington 1100 12g modified choke so I figured id start by asking about the 20g those are my only 2 options for this up coming turkey season.

jordanz7935

Yea they're great little turkey guns! 3" Federal heavyweight #7s all the way.Modified choke would limit your shots to 30 - 35 yards, with those shells. You could have the barrel threaded to accept chokes, and make it a bonafide turkey killer. I have one with fixed full choke and its a nice lightweight turkey gun.Good luck with it.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: jordanz7935 on March 15, 2017, 05:18:47 PM
Yea they're great little turkey guns! 3" Federal heavyweight #7s all the way.Modified choke would limit your shots to 30 - 35 yards, with those shells. You could have the barrel threaded to accept chokes, and make it a bonafide turkey killer. I have one with fixed full choke and its a nice lightweight turkey gun.Good luck with it.
I'm not arguing your statement but I've not seen any of them with a modificed choke that would make a reasonable turkey gun to 30-35 yards yet. His may be different but I've not seen it at this point.

I'd lean towards the 1100 so long as it's chambered for the 3" she'll just for the additional payload but that's me. Personally, I'd get the 20 threaded for tubes and the hunt it over the 12 simply for the savings in weight. Whatever you do, good luck.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 15, 2017, 06:35:33 PM
I'm not arguing your statement but I've not seen any of them with a modificed choke that would make a reasonable turkey gun to 30-35 yards yet. His may be different but I've not seen it at this point.

I'd lean towards the 1100 so long as it's chambered for the 3" she'll just for the additional payload but that's me. Personally, I'd get the 20 threaded for tubes and the hunt it over the 12 simply for the savings in weight. Whatever you do, good luck.
x2 At that range with a modified choke I'd think you'd have a wounded turkey running off and if you happen to get lucky enough to drop him I'd think you'd be picking shot for a long time or chipping a tooth. Your pick.

Kylongspur88

I took a youth hunter a few years ago and let him use my h&r 20 ga because he was a little small to shoulder my 870 20 ga well. We hunted in a blind over decoys and after patterning with hevi #6's I imposed a max range of about 15 yards. We didn't kill a bird that hunt but on the next year's youth hunt he was big enough to use my 870 20ga and flattened his first gobbler at 25 yards with hevi 6's.

If I were you I'd use your 12 and something with a flight control type wad.

BowBendr

Well, as someone that actually owns one and is not just giving their opinion, I say go for it.
The 3" federal shell will work just fine. The flight control wad was designed to do a certain job, let it do its job and you will be ok. Call one up inside of 35 and you will flatten him all day long. Been there, done that, many times......

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: BowBendr on March 15, 2017, 07:32:32 PM
Well, as someone that actually owns one and is not just giving their opinion, I say go for it.
The 3" federal shell will work just fine. The flight control wad was designed to do a certain job, let it do its job and you will be ok. Call one up inside of 35 and you will flatten him all day long. Been there, done that, many times......
Post an honest 35yd pattern I'd like to see it...

BowBendr

I like how you threw the word "honest" in there..... :icon_thumright:
Better yet, come on down and I'll let you shoot it......

Gamblinman

If you roll your own and load some TSS, that modified choke may be dead on.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

jordanz7935

Quote from: wvmntnhick on March 15, 2017, 06:35:33 PM

Ive shot alot of those loads patterning over the years, but ive probably only shot a few through a modified choke in a 20 ga. Those few shots were through a fixed mod choke baikal 20 ga and it did over 100 @ 40 yards both shots. I remember shooting a few Federal 3'' flight control lead 6s and 30 yards was the limit with them through that gun. Id find it hard to beleive his H&R wouldn't put up at least 100 HW#7s @ 30yards .Only 1 way to find out though, burn some powder and kill some paper. Id look into getting it threaded.IMO, Mike Orlen and Sumtoy have the best deal going for threading shotgun barrels.

Cut N Run

Quote from: BowBendr on March 15, 2017, 07:32:32 PM

I've got a Stevens single shot 12 with a fixed modified choke and a 3" chamber that I turkey hunted with for almost a decade.  I hunted with Federal Premium copper plated 6s through it for years and killed every turkey I shot at with it.  I did let 'em get in close before I dropped the hammer, but none were wounded, lost, or had to be chased down & shot again.  They all got rolled & tagged.  It is not a long range turkey gun, but once you understand the gun's capabilities and hunt within those limitations, it does the job.  You sort of get in that "make the first shot count" mind set when you hunt with a single shot anyway...or you'd better learn it quick, one.  It's still a 12 gauge with a lot of knock down power that turkeys can't handle inside of 30 yards.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

1iagobblergetter

That's the best advice is know the capabilities of your gun and self. I also shoot a single shot that's scoped and even so I know I have only one shot and need to make it count. Do some patterning with it and then you'll know whether it suites you or not.

jbo225

hey thanks everyone im going to get out probably this weekend ill shoot a couple paper plates see what she does think ill try the federal flitecontrol or another shell I should give a try so I wont have to spend a fortune on shells thanks again everyone