OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What shell y'all use in Remington 1100

Started by jbo225, March 14, 2017, 03:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbo225

So I'm getting into turkey hunting this season and was wondering what Remington load are y'all using in your Remington 1100 my Remington really only like Remington shells cycles then we'll also how do y'all think I'll fair with it has the 28" barrel mod choke and I've always used #4bk for deer my dad always said that's a good turkey load too

Bowguy

Check your regs n first be sure that's even legal. If it was it'd be a body shot load imo. The 1100s are 2-3/4 most times. Try federal heavyweight 7s. Lots of shot to hit the head/neck most guys shoot for and they come in your size. My daughter has had decent luck w a fixed mod but pattern the gun so you know it's effective range

davisd9

Buckshot not legal here in SC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

jbo225

This gun been used since late 60s from my dad to me all legal but the only down fall is it only cycles Remington shells

Bowguy

Buddy not the gun. The buckshot may not be legal hunting turkeys. Why you think it only cycles Remington shells? I've never in my life seen a gun that wouldn't shoot dif shells? No saying you're wrong but did you try??

WV TURKEY THUG

First gobbler I killed was with a rem 1100 with factory full choke using Winchester super x 5 shot. He was 40 42 yds away. With what I know now I would have never taken a shot that far with that setup.

WV TURKEY THUG

Disregard my post should have read it a little better.

bbcoach

jbo, Welcome to Old Gobbler.  The people on this site are very knowledgeable about turkey guns and turkey hunting.  I started to post earlier but refrained.  I'll add my 2 cents now that I've had time to think.  The 1100 (2 3/4" chamber) with the right shell and right choke will kill turkeys effectively out to 30 yards.  Most states don't allow any shot size larger than #4's so #4 buckshot is definitely out (check your State Regs).  A modified choke won't get the job done either.  It will take a Extra Full (.690) or a Turkey choke in the .665 range to concentrate enough shot (100 or more) in a 10 inch ring at 40 yards to get a clean kill.  I killed my first turkey with a 1100.  I shot a 1 1/2 oz load of #5's through a Extra Full choke at 30 yards to kill the bird but I realized then that 30 yards would be my max range with that gun.  I now have a 3 1/2" Mossberg 835 with a .670 turkey choke that will kill effectively out to 40 yards.  I would recommend that you check your state regs for shot size, ditch the modified choke idea since that choke and 2 3/4" shell isn't going to put enough shot on the head and neck to effectively kill a bird except at very close range and look for a gun that will cycle something other than Remington shells.  Do some research and read up on what other hunters are having success with on this site.  Check out some of the pictures of the patterns that the Remington, Mossberg and other guns are putting up.  Good Luck and Welcome! 

jbo225

Tnks yall i should have been a litttle clearer on the#4bk statement he was saying #4 not the buckshot. Ive tried winchester #1 and #4 buckshot and it wouldnt cycle any of them also this is my only shotgun given to me by my dad was his since a kid so this is all i have and cant really go out and purchase a new one at this time due to have a newborn so the wife would literally kill me

jbo225

So my brother said i can use his 870 the only problem is it has a 26" barrel is that a better choice over mine? also i do own a NEF single shot 20g used for squirrels how would that fair?

taylorjones20

The 870 with a 26" would be a great choice.  Do you know if it has a fixed choke or does it have screw in chokes?
Alive only by the Grace Of God

surehuntsalot

I have a 3" magnum 1100 with a 30" fixed full choke that loves Federal FC shells, and Winchester XX magnums.

On a side note:  I have never been able to get Remington shells to shoot worth a crap in any shotgun that I have ever owned.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jbo225

the 870 has a screw in choke but I asked him he doesn't have any chokes for it

jbo225

Being that my Remington 1100 is late 60s so she has some age on her would I still be able to shoot the HW #7 out of it or even the hevi shot, Remington nitro