turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WMA roads

Started by longspur, March 13, 2017, 03:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longspur

Most of my public land hunting is on a WMA near me. It's over 17,000 acres. There's no place on the entire area a bird can gobble and you can't hear it from a road. I understand some folk can't walk long distances and there should be access for them to hunt,  but I think this is ridiculous. There should be places for people who are willing to work for it. If you're around NE Ga.you probably know where I'm talking about. No quota or anything. Just fill the woods up with trucks.

Blong

Are there no gated rds on the property?

Bowguy

Someone's gonna complain if they can't leave tree stands n blinds in there. It isn't fair they gotta walk at all

catman529

I hunt a much smaller WMA that is only open a couple of times during the seasons for a few days at a time. It too has roads throughout, but the back half are cut off from vehicle traffic for the turkey hunts. Still the access is very easy on that place, and people hunt all corners of it, the place gets packed on Saturday mornings. It doesn't bother me though, the hunting can still be good. Sometimes it's not all about going in farther than the rest, it's about working around them

longspur

Quote from: Blong on March 13, 2017, 04:16:39 PM
Are there no gated rds on the property?
Yeah there's gated roads. If you hear one you can walk a gated road to him.

BB30

I reckon it is just part of it. Outside of a few public places in MS most of the WMAs are the same way. There are a few that are really expansive that you can get away on. But with maps on phones etc now days if you think you have found a honey hole there is probably a good chance multiple others have too. That is part of the enjoyment at least for me on public ground. You never know what the day will bring, adds an extra element to the hunt.

turkeyfoot

That is tough one thing I love about my Mtn hunting public land is they close the gates off last of Feb when small game goes out and leave the gates closed requiring long walks to get to many places now when I get older I may not like this as much

mtns2hunt

I love to hunt the mountains where you can walk all day and never see anyone. Can't imagine hunting where there is a ton of other hunters. That just sounds very discouraging. I also have private land to hunt but nobody comes on it. Plenty of WMA's here but never bothered with them. Sounds like you WMA guys need a change in strategy.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

GAGE

If it starts with R and ends in S, and want a sidekick let me know. It is 8 minutes from my house, and I never go.