OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Book on turkey hunting history

Started by troutfisher13111, March 12, 2017, 03:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfisher13111

Is there one book that really captures the history of turkey hunting?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Izzyjoe

Tom Kelly said that before he wrote his first book, that there not a lot literature on turkey hunting out there, that was the main reason for the book. If you haven't read the Tenth Legion, you might check it out it's a good book!

LaLongbeard

What state? Turkey hunting did not start at the same time in each state. Mississippi and Alabama never closed there season and they probably have the most history. Some Midwest states came along decades later. So really there is no definitive history of the sport. I read every turkey hunting book I can find and have found the self published books to be the best. Most are not written by professional writers but the content including history is pretty good.There are too many to list but if you go to Jim Casada  turkey books online he has a list and discription of hundreds of titles.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

greencop01

Jim Casada's book 'Remembering the Greats : Profiles of Turkey Hunting Old Masters' comes close. Everyone he writes about in the book are all dead, all past turkey men that all contributed to the popularity of what we have today. He covers it pretty well. Good info on the past. Another one is 'Wayne's Turkey World : 60 years of hunting' is pretty good too. Wayne Bailey was the guy who pushed the live trapping of wild birds to bring the successful reintroduction of turkeys to the present state of birds in the lower 48.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!