OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public land Turkey hunting paranoia

Started by bornagain64, March 12, 2017, 02:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strutr

I, too, have hunted public land most of my life.  My radar is always scanning for other hunters trying to encroach on my setup.  I can't count the times other hunters have parked right next to my vehicle and then moved right in to a bird I was working.  Even had one guy belly crawl right past my calling position despite my whistling at him.  Many of those guys are opportunists who probably have done little scouting.  Best advice I can give is to try to scout for roosted birds as far away from roads as possible and always have a plan B and C.  Above all, be extra careful!     

tha bugman

One must always assume that another hunter could be that hen you are hearing, or approaching or setting up, but all you can do is keep your eyes open.  Some folks will intentionally bust one off of you, some will mess up the scene unintentionally, and sometimes the other fella gets "your bird" (a.k.a. the disheartening surprise boom and the sound of flopping wings...oh well maybe next time... ::)

TauntoHawk

The public in PA can get insanely crowded I try and find the birds that are at least a mile deep, if birds are visible from the road or within ear shot of a parking lot there's a good chance that 11 guys will be stumbling around the woods on any given morning.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

silvestris

I try to remove tape when I find it, as I consider it a blight on the forest.  On occasion, I have repositioned it in a misdirection, though I find the tape is usually trash left by deer hunters.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

quavers59

This is one important post. I only hunt public lands now. I used to belong to a few gun clubs and that land was even more crowded!  I love to both hike and bike and I have a mountain bike- which I use if I have to work that day.  I have a great area that is a full 2 miles in and I know for a fact-- a few other hardcore Spring turkey hunters use this area as well. I just go with the flow and try like Hell to park first and get to my area first.
   I was just at the Rockland, NY Hunting and Fishing Expo on March 4th I think and bought a nice box caller and was enjoying lunch on one of those circular tables you can stand around. I took that box caller out and the guy eating next to me  started some turkey talk with me and showed me some awesome pics from last Spring of his Son and the guys own gobbler. Turns out that he hunts the VERY same area as I do- but comes in from another parking area. His hike in is less--1 1/2 miles.  It is what it is. I just try to get my butt out there before another Spring hunter and hope for the best!

catman529

Quote from: silvestris on March 13, 2017, 11:30:37 AM
I try to remove tape when I find it, as I consider it a blight on the forest.  On occasion, I have repositioned it in a misdirection, though I find the tape is usually trash left by deer hunters.
same here, most tape is from deer hunters. And most of it is through wide open hardwoods that are easy to find your way through. Are they trying to claim a spot or find their way in the dark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bornagain64

Most areas I hunt are a quota draw, can  Only hunt those certain days. Another issue is the weather, with a quota hunt you do not have an option to wait for good weather. These quotas are picked months in advance and you just have to go with what you get.

Another issue I face is there is ALWAYS a different way in. You may think you are the only one there or you got there first, but another hunter came in a different trial.

Only 4 more days to have to think about it, then it is time to be in the woods. I know I will be the 1st couple guys at the gate, then I will game plan on where they pull off to park.

g8rvet

I hunt both. I tend towards private to start and move to public as the crowds thin.  My brother lives right next to a national forest.  It is amazing how often there is one bird gobbling and someone kills it. Everyone leaves. Then a few days later some unheard birds start gobbling!

As to the paranoia, remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSbSueq_KSY
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.