OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Public land Turkey hunting paranoia

Started by bornagain64, March 12, 2017, 02:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitten and drummen

I have hunted public land most of my life.  The reality is that it is just that , public land. I do as most on here and move on if someone beats me to a spot , however i have had people ignore me and move right in. I use to get mad and kick and cuss but I Have come to realize that everyone does not have the same ethics and some are down right selfish. No matter how you cut it they have as much right to it as you. Not to beat you up op , but its not your spot and most likely if it has birds you wont have it to yourself. I learned a long time ago to pattern people more than the birds. Use calls they dont use and approach birds from a different direction than others. You just have to adapt , accept that others have as much right as you to be there  and use some different tatics. If you dont enjoy it and this stresses you out , save money for your own place  or find another sport. Not trying to be a butt , but dont let it stress you. Its supposed to be enjoyable.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Double B

Staying mobile is an advantage of hunting public land,  I have to listen for gobblers to see where I want to set up most mornings.  Hunter density is a big key to making decisions on where to park/hunt/set up.  Sure feels good to have an empty parking area midweek!   
Followed by buzzards

Brian Fahs

I have been hunting highly pressured public ground in the northeast all my life. I used to spend tons of time scouting very early and right up to the opener. Here are some random things I have learned. I am pretty hard headed but after about 30 years of the same stuff over and over again I get it.

The huge flocks of birds you see and hear in march will move by our late April opener.

Birds on public you see or hear from the road will be seen and heard by many others.

Turkey hunters are some of the most diehard hunt every day hunters by far. MID week is never a sure bet.

The first 3 days of season are the most heavily hunted. Hunt accordingly.

The bird that raised hell in the tree and shut up once 4 guys started wearing their calls out is still nearby. Wait him out they will leave within 1 hour of silence.

Have lots of patience. IT'S amazing what you see in the woods when you sit still and let the woods come to you....

Our group does extremely well every year in the states we hunt. PUBLIC most often becomes using unconventional tactics. We enjoy the challenge.

Kylongspur88

Public land turkey hunting can be dog eat dog. I hunt about 50/50 public and private. On public I go in early and stay late. Lots of guys will pack it in mid morning when the birds get quite. If I can I'll hunt mid week. I also go to hard to reach spots. If there's a place with a big hill you have to climb that hill will discourage a lot of other hunters from that spot. Let's face it the lazies aren't going to make a big climb before dawn.

bornagain64

I guess I confused some with this post.

I have hunted public land my whole life and realize what comes with that. The post was not about other hunters or what to do with them.

But the paranoia that I put my self thru. Where to park, which spot to go to, should I sit or should I run and gun.
Just wondering if your mind plays tricks on you and you change your plans several times before you ever get in the woods.?

Again I am not complaining about public land or dealing with other hunters, just how our minds work.

Happy

Hold steady. That's what wins the race.
Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spurs Up

Quote from: bornagain64 on March 12, 2017, 08:30:21 PM

I have hunted public land my whole life and realize what comes with that. The post was not about other hunters or what to do with them.

But the paranoia that I put my self thru. Where to park, which spot to go to, should I sit or should I run and gun.
Just wondering if your mind plays tricks on you and you change your plans several times before you ever get in the woods.?

Again I am not complaining about public land or dealing with other hunters, just how our minds work.

Without a doubt, I second guess and question every decision.  I fret over what others as well as what the gobbler is likely to do.  Find myself taking chances and getting more aggressive than I otherwise would. As a result, I'm less successful on public lands (other reasons too) and tend to find the experience less enjoyable.

West Augusta

Sit out the first week.  Then hunt midweek thereafter. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

catman529

Nah I love it and just try to work around the other hunters. Sometimes you'll get cut off on a bird and sometimes you won't. Never has bothered me, but the big trails of orange and pink tape are annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

catman529

Quote from: bornagain64 on March 12, 2017, 08:30:21 PM

I wouldn't call that paranoia, I'd say that's being indecisive, a problem I catch myself doing often. Just go with your gut and pick a spot for opening morning. As long as you have a plan B and plan C, there shouldn't be any worry. Also get there stupid early on opening morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I never worry about it, usually plenty of room. A couple years ago i found some birds way back in and picked a parking area that had the best access, there was another vehicle when I arrived and I nearly left and went to another spot, but I decided there was a ton of ground back there and went in anyway.

I walked about 5 minutes and there was the guy off to the east of the main trail at the head of a nice looking draw, not sure he even saw me slide by and I continued on to my spot which was no where near him.

That is my only concern when hunting public is not messing with another's hunt, I wish everyone were so gracious but most are actually, I have never had a run in personally but know others have. Of course I always seem to find some off the wall hell hole to get into!

Hooksfan

Who me? Paranoid?
No, not at all.  :angel2:
I have been known to go to rather extreme lengths to avoid such paranoia.
Having a shade tree mechanic father in law who always had four or five vehicles I could park at my hunting spot the night before went a long ways towards relieving such anxiety.

Cut N Run

Seeking those out of the way places that are difficult to get to will help you find birds that are less pressured.  Sometimes it doesn't have to be a very big piece of land either.   Using a boat, kayak, or canoe to access places most of the crowd won't mess with also adds some adventure (& extra work) to the hunt.  Maybe have somebody drop you off where there's no parking nearby? Definitely hunt during mid-week.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

joey46

Knew you were from Florida before I checked your bio.  Flagging tape comments gave you away ;D.  Lucky over the years to have hunted states and areas where it is considered trash and illegal.  The amount of tape on  FL WMAs with no quota is almost comical.  Most ignore it now. 

longspur

I am blessed with a long season here in Georgia. I don't do public land until mid-april. By then 90% have either burned themselves out or tag out on loud mouth two-year-old Birds. I have the old tight-lipped sneaky Birds pretty much to myself. I love working a goblin bird as much as anybody but the  thrill of victory is much greater when you nail one of those sneaky Birds.