turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Options for short barrel 20 gauge semi autos

Started by shedhunta, March 10, 2017, 10:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shedhunta

Having so much fun building an 870 20 ga that i was considering doing a 20ga semi auto after this.  What manufacturers do you guys like in a semi auto with a 18-23" barrel?  Really like swinging this short 21" barrel.  Will be hard to go back to a longer one.

Thx
Shedhunta

FL-Boss

g8rvet

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Turkeyfever

DrDirtNap

Weatherby SA-459...You won't be disappointed

shedhunta

Man. That weatherby does look nice.  My 4 year old may need a new gun soon. Ha ha

Spring Fever

I don't own either one
But guys tell me why you would do the weatherby over the 1187 youth 20?
Not trying to hijack your thread bud but I too am an in your sane position and I was leaning towards the 1187 20 since I already have the chokes for patterning.

g8rvet

Personally, I went with the SA-459 because I liked the way it fit in my hands.  I liked the reviews that it got on here, especially the patterns.  Very important to me, it would be a dedicated turkey gun alone as I have an O/U 20 101 that I have literally shot for over 40 years that is for wing shooting.  So the SA-459 was ready to go, with a pistol grip right out of the box.  It was just exactly what I was looking for at a very reasonable price.  I also got 10% off any Bass Pro purchase because I signed up for a credit card at the same time.

If I had wanted a dual purpose gun, I would have gone for something with a conventional stock. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Dtrkyman

I just got a mossberg turkey thugs...little bit crude and not as light as advertised but should make a good turkey rig...was going to get a weatherby but found the thug for cheap...no pistol grip on the thug though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codym

The 1187 is a good gun, but for me and echoing what others have said I wanted a dedicated turkey gun. I wanted to mount optics and the SA already had a rail included, I wanted a pistol grip and camo. Not to mention I wanted a light gun. The SA checked all those boxes for me. If I wanted a more all around gun I would have considered the 1187 maybe.

dirtnap

I just bought a Remington 1187 youth 20 gauge with a 21 inch barrel in January.  It will get hunted on the 3/18 youth day.  I personally like a Remington and I like short barrels.  It performed well during the end of duck season for me and my son.  I am not sure of the actual weight, but when you hold it next to a youth model 870 it is just a tad heavier. 

I wouldn't describe the 1187 as "heavy".  Also, I have no plans to make any changes to it other than to put in a different choke.

I have never owned a Weatherby, so no help there.

Duffer58

Based on all the good reviews off the SA-459 here on OG and how my buddy's felt/shouldered I finally bit the bullet and ordered one.  According to Fed Ex it will be delivered to my my FFL guy on Wednesday.  Looking forward to getting a red dot on it and hitting the range.
870 SPS SM 23" Barrel / Indian Creek 0.665 / EO Tech 512 & Weatherby SA-459 / Carlson 0.555 / Vortex Venom

Spring Fever

Give us your full review. Awesome man! And can't wait to hear what you think of it.
Congrats!!