turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

shotgun problem need some help

Started by BB30, March 09, 2017, 11:42:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB30

Guys need a little advice. I shoot an sx3 26" barrel, use the stock bead. I have been shooting the same shell and IC choke for several years now with no issues. I usually shoot it once or twice before season just to make sure everything is still good as I duck hunt with the same gun quite a bit.

Now to the issue. It has always been dead on pattern wise with the bead. This year the bulk of the pattern was hitting about 8 inches high and 5-6 inches right at 35yds. I thought I may be pulling but had a buddy shoot it and it did the same thing. Again, this is the first time I have had this issue with the same gun,shell and choke combo I have used the last several years. My only thoughts are that I somehow slightly bent the barrel during duck season but do not remember doing anything dumb such as running over with a ranger etc.? It isn't noticeably bent. I have taken the barrel off and put it back on to see if the alignment was off and am still having the issue. Any ideas? Also, should I just put an aftermarket sight on it to correct the error or do you think there is actually a significant problem that I should get checked out by a gunsmith?

Thanks

taylorjones20

Have you tried a different choke just to make sure?
Alive only by the Grace Of God

LaLongbeard

X2 the choke also maybe try different load to double check.Maybe there's something different in the batch of shells your using.If you remove your barrel and look thru it from both ends you should be able to see a bend unless it is tiny.When held straight you will see were the barell bends up down or left right.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

1iagobblergetter

Are you sure you didn't grab a Benelli instead of your Winchester??Lol...I'd do like the other guy said and try a different choke with the shells you've been using. If it's still off try a different reputable shell through original choke and if it's still off maybe through the other choke. I would maybe just use a choke that came with the gun as a reference choke. At 25 or 30 yds it might give you some idea what's going on. Also make sure your cap is tight that holds your barrel in place and check if your stock is also tight.

WNCTracker

when is the last time you removed the choke and cleaned it?  I say this because I just had an 835 that was shooting great then started to shoot about 12 inches off.  When I looked at the wad strippers there was crud that I didn't see when glancing down the barrel with a light....that and a loose stock bolt were my culprits.

BB30

I remove the choke after turkey season and clean it and put it back in after cleaning my gun once duck season is over. I will try some different shells and see if I didn't get something screwed on right although I checked that a couple of times. I couldn't visibly see any bent issues with the barrel. I have never had any issues with the gun previously, just really weird that all of the sudden it is doing this. Thanks for the help guys if yall think of anything else it may be let me know. And I will get back once I get a chance to run some different shells through it.

Dr Juice

Check the forearm cap. It may be loose which may cause the barrel to whip due to a loose tolerance. My $0.02.

Blong

I have bent mine accidentally 2x. It takes less than you may think. I repaired mine with a 2x4 and 4lb hammer. It may be a High dollar gun but not with it shooting bad.

monty690

You can eliminate or confirm a bent barrel with a long enough straight edge. Put it against the barrel in at least 2 places, say one on the bottom of the barrel and again on the side. I know that duck hunting will sometimes heat up a barrel pretty good and if you stand the gun up in the corner of the blind it could bend it slightly.

slicksbeagles1

I'm with dr juice I have an sx2 and Clark with allaboutshooting recommended using  rubber pliers to tighten forearm cap I usually use a piece of rubber and adjustable pliers (aka channel local) this helped a lot I also polished the barrel. Also check the stock bolt.

Bowguy

Is it a new box of shells you're shooting? Sometimes manufacturers change things. You'd not know it but if it's a dif lot something small could be dif n causing an issue. Try shooting an old shell if you're using a new box. No guarantees but another thing to look into.

BB30

Quote from: Bowguy on March 09, 2017, 07:37:09 PM
Is it a new box of shells you're shooting? Sometimes manufacturers change things. You'd not know it but if it's a dif lot something small could be dif n causing an issue. Try shooting an old shell if you're using a new box. No guarantees but another thing to look into.

You sir were correct, I was able to find one of the old shells(same type just from a couple of years ago) It patterned fine so apparently there was something slightly different. Hard to believe it would make that much difference being basically the same exact shell. FWIW it was the Hevi Shot magnum blend #5,6,7. Problem now is I am out of my old ones ha I reckon I will have to find something else to run through it.

I don't hunt with this gun much anymore for turkeys as I have switched to a 20 I got last year and love. But, always comforting to know I have another option if something were to happen to one so I try to shoot both every year before season.

Anyone with another load recommendation for an SX3 with an IC choke?

owlhoot

What did they do  >:( change wads again ???