OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Help with nova, choke/shell combo...  (Read 6268 times)

Offline PoplarCreek

Help with nova, choke/shell combo...
« on: March 08, 2017, 02:24:32 AM »
What have y'all found to be the best choke and shell combo for a nova? I've never really patterned my gun and always just bought whatever shells I could find. Season opens here in MS March 15 so I'm gonna need to get on a ball if I'm going to buy a choke and pattern shells. Thanks.

Offline Daniel703

Re: Help with nova, choke/shell combo...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 12:32:36 PM »
I have had awesome results with my nova with a .650 carlsons non ported choke with the WLB 5s and 6s. Also great even patterns with Jebs .660 with the WLB 4s. All 3 1/2 inch shells.

Offline Buckrub

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 12:47:31 PM »
My Nova loves the Indian Creek Black Diamond .665 with the 3 1/2" LB #6.  Easily kills out to 50 yds.  :icon_thumright:

Offline turkeymanjim

Help with nova, choke/shell combo...
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 08:07:38 AM »
X2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Offline Natty Bumpo

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 06:57:24 PM »
Benelli Super Nova+ Rhino .660 turkey+ Federal HW #7's was the magic sauce for me. :icon_thumright:.

NB

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2017, 10:35:43 AM »
Don't know if you have a combo that works yet. And each gun is different, but my magic combo in a 26" barrel is a Trulock .660 and Mag Blends 3 1/2" (210-220 in 10" @ 40) or 3" (170-180 in 10" @ 40)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:48:46 PM by albrubacker »
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline Deast1988

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 12:15:13 PM »
I shoot a 655 original jellyhead and longbeard #5. It's a loaner gun that will put up solid patterns to 40yds.

If I tote it, I'm shooting a 3.5in nitro loaded 2.25oz 6x7 hevishot. Does 240s at 40yds and seeing the 6s in there is just insurance.

Offline 1_bighunter

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »
I have been using a Carlson's extended ported .665 turkey tube in my Nova for several years and had great results with Winchester 3 1/2 #6 high velocity turkey loads but just tried the 3 1/2" Longbeard XR #6s and WOW!   I just ordered a Carlson's Longbeard XR tube for my Dad's Super Vinci and I'm hoping to get similar results.  His factory full tube is only good to about 35 yards.  Needless to say he is questioning why he spent all that money on a 12 gauge that only kills as good as a 20 gauge! >:(

Offline buckmark13

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2018, 06:18:51 PM »
What have y'all found to be the best choke and shell combo for a nova? I've never really patterned my gun and always just bought whatever shells I could find. Season opens here in MS March 15 so I'm gonna need to get on a ball if I'm going to buy a choke and pattern shells. Thanks.
Pattern your gun, with your chokes and your shells. What's best in mine may not in fact be what's  best in yours. Over the years I've learned that each gun is unique in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 08:43:47 PM »
Pattern your gun, with your chokes and your shells. What's best in mine may not in fact be what's  best in yours. Over the years I've learned that each gun is unique in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
x2   I gave away my Nova to a buddy who's house burnt down and he lost all his guns.  I kept the turkey choke and gave it to my nephew who shoots the exact same rig.  Even let him have some of the shells I shot.  No joy.  He wound up with #6 Hevi and mine shot that like poop. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline mightyjoeyoung

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 02:03:01 PM »
one of my hunting buddy's uses the Hevi13 turkey choke with
the Magnum Blends and he eats LOTS OF WILD TURKEY  :turkey2:

Thought they kicked you off the forum for being an EMI troll?????
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.