turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

870 wingmaster 12ga. Load

Started by Life of Riley, March 07, 2017, 07:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Life of Riley

Hello,  I'm running with my dad's Remington 870 wing master 12 gauge, with 26" barrel for turkey hunting this year. For shooting the factory full choke does anyone have shell recommendations? The gun takes 3 inch or 2 3/4 shells. I'm asking because I will be buying a few different kinds and shooting my gun before season to check on the pattern and gain confidence. Thanks much.

dirt road ninja

The federal heavy weights or Hevi 13 7's.

jordanz7935

3" Federal Heavyweights #7s or 3" Hevi #6 or #7s should make that wingmaster into a fine turkey gun.

agent eight seven O

Federal 3rd Degree. I have not hunted with them, but I have patterned them with 26" 870 factory full choke and got some really nice patterns.

Izzyjoe

I would try a tighter choke, and some Winchester long beards!

MickT

Federal flight control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Tom

Quote from: dirt road ninja on March 07, 2017, 07:39:21 PM
The federal heavy weights or Hevi 13 7's.
Got a Wingmaster in 12 ga, 26" barrel, and the Winchester longbeards #6 with the 665 Longbeard choke (believe made by Carlson) will put 178 in 10 ring, and 19 in vitals. Best load I have tried. Hevi #6 good too, but not as many hits as Longbeards. Plus, for some reason the Longbeards do not kick as hard as the Hevi's. Have a Browning 12 ga BPS in 26" also and the Longbeards are good also, but prefer the Wingmaster. Seems to swing, handle better and little lighter.

Life of Riley

I shot my gun today with Rem nitro 3" #5 turkey loads and wasn't impressed with the results. Any suggestions on a choke for this gun that isn't ported?

owlhoot

Quote from: Life of Riley on April 03, 2017, 02:44:47 AM
I shot my gun today with Rem nitro 3" #5 turkey loads and wasn't impressed with the results. Any suggestions on a choke for this gun that isn't ported?
Yes . You can try a lot more shells before buying a new choke . Those ones have not been the best thing out there for most guns.

nickp

Have a 30" full choke barrel in a wingmaster.  Shoots the Longbeards really well, 4's and 6's especially over the 5's for some reason.  Makes a beautiful 40 for hunting and then some.  The federal hwt 7 's with a clean barrel like the guys above said and also the hevi 6's or 7's.  Longbeards did the best out of mine, followed by hevi and then federals.   

Longshanks

Quote from: nickp on April 03, 2017, 09:05:36 AM
Have a 30" full choke barrel in a wingmaster.  Shoots the Longbeards really well, 4's and 6's especially over the 5's for some reason.  Makes a beautiful 40 for hunting and then some.  The federal hwt 7 's with a clean barrel like the guys above said and also the hevi 6's or 7's.  Longbeards did the best out of mine, followed by hevi and then federals.

Yup, I'm still not sure I know how Longbeards work.  I have heard a number of people say that they shoot great through a standard flush mount full choke and fixed chokes as well. Interesting.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: Life of Riley on April 03, 2017, 02:44:47 AM

don't waste your money on Remington turkey shells
it's not the harvest,it's the chase