OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tent/camping advice

Started by littlebull, March 07, 2017, 09:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlebull

Looking at buying a tent that'll sleep at least three with good rain and mosquito protection. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich
The old coon walks a late log

Gooserbat

Done: Cabelas Alaska guide.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

littlebull

Is that the name of the tent?

littlebull

Fullfan

Ya buy a camper..  Spent 20 years tent camping while turkey hunting in Missouri. No matter what I did it always managed to become a mess, with the rain and the mud and oh don't forget the wind.  And oh ya the mice also. After a year of 9 days of steady rain, it was no more tent for me.

Nothing like a good night sleep in a dry camper, and having all your stuff stay dry in a plus.
Don't gobble at me...

sps20

6 by 10 cargo trailer for me.
Built a bunk and cupboards.
Warm,dry and can drink coffee
without the wind blowing out
my stove. (wyoming)  :OGani:
Regards
Turk

Rzrbac

I much prefer a camper as well but I have camped in tents in the mountains. A tent can go places a camper can't but you aren't near as comfortable. If I were going to get a tent I would go with a Kodiak Flexbow.

littlebull

yea campers and trailers are great ideas but I'm needing a tent bc we will be camping either on sand bars or the bank of the ms river. So campers/trailers out of the equation. probably be boating in

littlebull

Treerooster,

That is pretty awesome. I bet you've got some pretty good memories over that span of time. That's really the reason I want to get into it is for the experience. Be able to go out on our place with my dad and brother. then hopefully get to do some traveling and camp on some public land that we hunt.

Rzrbac

Well a wall tent maybe out of the equation too. A buddy and myself boated a wall tent across a lake in Colorado a few years back.

Be careful on that river in the spring, water levels can change quick sometimes.

Rzrbac

Here's a simple 2 man Coleman, spent 2 weeks in it in Idaho year before last. It held up to high wind, snow and rain. It would pack in a boat easy and was pretty comfortable, just not a lot of room for hanging and drying clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

littlebull

tell me about it. I live on an oxbow. Dang river has a mind of its own during the spring. especially down here in ms once the melting starts up north

littlebull

I think insects are my primary concern. Being in the delta during the spring is a whole different ball game with mosquitos/gnats

tha bugman

I know exactly what some of you are talking about when rain and being wet are concerned.  I have been on hunts where it rained so hard all I could do was roll the tent up and throw it in the back of the truck with everything else.  My buddy has what we call the tenthouse suite (pictured).  But now if I am hunting solo and the weather is favorable.  I just put over the back of the truck to keep the dew off and sleep in the bed of the truck on an air mattress.  If its hot I have a two man tent that works well. 

Tail Feathers

You need to know that their "persons" capacity is way off on tents.  If you want three people in one, better get a six man.  You couldn't fit three kids in the typical three person tent.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!