turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" or 3 1/2"

Started by waterman2, March 06, 2017, 06:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterman2

what do you use? 3" seemed to pattern better in my gun.

gobblinfever

if they pattern good, use them. ive always used 3 inch
Nothing better than turkey huntin

Greg Massey

3 in..but i don't own 3.5 ...

1iagobblergetter

3in and I do own several 3.5s especially if yours patterns better with them.

owlhoot

3"
Is going to be all you need.

bbcoach

3 1/2" for me.  Not required but I like the added density in the pattern.

kyturkeyhunter4

Use which ever one your gun shots the best, My 835 likes the 3 1/2  inch the best but believe me if it shot the 3 inch just as good that's definitely what I would shoot to avoid the extra recoil.

BottomLand54

3" don't care if 3.5 patterns better I will change choke to continue to shoot 3". First of all I am about done with 12 guages in general but I personally would never shoot a 3.5 turkey load, to each his own.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gobble!

3.5" here. I'm into throwing as much shot down range as I can.

outdoors

I HAVE A VERSA MAX TURKEY MODEL AND I GET REALLY GOOD PATTERNS WITH THE 3" THE 3 1/2" opens up quite a bit.........
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

hobbes

I typically shoot 3 1/2", 2 oz, #6 lead (Winchester Supremes).  I did shoot some Winchester LB's in 3" #6 a couple years ago, but didn't care for how tight the pattern was up close. 

Gooserbat

With the advent of modern turkey loads, both longbeards and hevishot I've not found a 3.5" to be nessasary.  I do get better patterns from a 3.5" fed HW 7.  Coincidentally I now shoot tss and a 3" is all I need.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WV TURKEY THUG

3 inch is all I use now, Winchester long beards

captpete

My 870 shoots 3" better than 3 1/2". The 3 1/2" has a gap in it....like you took a 1" sclice out of it from top to bottom.

WildTigerTrout

I shoot 3 1/2 inch because they don't make a 4 inch!! :lol: :o
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!