OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

3" or 3 1/2"

Started by waterman2, March 06, 2017, 06:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naylor649

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on March 06, 2017, 11:11:18 PM
I shoot 3 1/2 inch because they don't make a 4 inch!! :lol: :o

X2 hahaha

Marc

As a wing-shooter, I will not shoot 3.5" simply due to the recoil and the unfortunate and almost certain consequence of flinching from recoil.. 

The load might be capable of killing better, but I quickly become less capable of hitting anything using them...  And oddly, while hunting, I am completely unaware of any recoil, but at some level I certainly react to it.

And, for the most part (as mentioned on a different thread) we are talking about shooting a bird on the ground, generally at somewhere between 20-40 yards (with 40 yards really stretching it for me). 

By far the most difficult part of turkey hunting for me, is getting them to where I can shoot them...  Granted there is always a sigh of relief when that bird starts flopping though.

As few shots as I am going to take during a season, I have no issue utilizing Hevi-shot...  But, I have admittedly fallen victim to the perplexing marketing towards turkey hunters as far as the necessity of better shells and chokes, that in reality simply are not necessary in the vast majority of birds we take.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Waynesworld23

3inch number 6s for me the 3.5s didn't shoot well at all
To give anything less then your best is to sacrifice the gift

fallhnt

I have two early 90's Remington turkey guns that kill turkeys just fine with 3in shells.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

ilbucksndux

I flinch to bad with 3 1/2 and my guns shoot 3" better anyway
Gary Bartlow

LaLongbeard

I've not seen much difference in patterns between the two there's a few more pellets in the 3.5 but why buy a 3.5 super magnum and shoot 3" 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

UGAturkey

3 inch shells here.  I have an old 870 pump that can't handle anything else.  It patterned better than the 3 1/2 guns I owned...used to own. ;D
Turkey hunting is the addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. -Charlie Elliott

Uncle Nicky

wcerin

3"  #6 Winchester Longbeards for me. Shot the 3 1/2 and had a better hunting pattern with the 3". Shoot what the gun wants, she will tell you.
"Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, & some don't turn up at all."

jed clampett

3 inch is all you need but I shoot a 835 and like the 3.5 in pattern better

tha bugman

I have shot both, just depends on what gun I am using.

Cut N Run

The 3 inch Hevi #6s & #7s both shoot great from my SBE and kill turkeys just fine.  I've had two surgeries on my left shoulder (I shoot left) and I don't need any more recoil than I already get.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Happy

Let your gun decide.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

suburbhunter

3" #5's Long beards for my 935.  :fud:

Tom Threetoes

3 1/2" Hevi shot 6s, I may just get one shot and I aim to make it count!