OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2017 Tick Alert!

Started by HFultzjr, March 06, 2017, 09:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Guys running/training dogs- don't forget to treat them., I've had a couple I got in trades that were later found to have Lyme. Other friends have had dogs w it. Knock on wood I've treated my dogs n never had any I raised w the issue

Go G.W.

Quote from: rifleman on March 06, 2017, 08:11:31 PM
I heard a sure-fire way to get those ticks off is to saturate a cotton ball with fingernail polish and tape the ball over the tick.  Reportedly, he will back and and be dead.

All the "experts" are saying to ONLY remove ticks by grasping with tweezers close to the skin and pulling straight out.
They say squeezing the abdomen of the tick pushes more of their saliva and "juices" into your body increasing the risk of infection of any disease they might be carrying. I've also read that the chemical methods may make them 'regurgitate' into your body, also increasing exposure to disease.

ddturkeyhunter

I have one more thing to pass along that might be helpful for some. If your property isn't to large, not doing it to my turkey woods, but my house sits on ten acres of land that I treated just last year. What I mean by treated was, I got two 8 foot pieace of 2" PVC pipe that you cut into 6 inch pieces. I also got 10 two inch Tees and caps. You glue one 6 inch pipe onto each end of a tee. Now when you are soaking your cloth in Permethrin put a couple bags of cotten balls inside a onion mesh bag or similar and soak them as well, and let them dry out. Now after the cotten balls are all dried out they will be treated with Permethrin also. Take the plastic TEE's you made, and in the middle tee stuff that full of the treated Permethrin cotton balls. Put a cap on it and place them all around your property next to the tall grass or where ever you think mice might be hiding. The Idea for this is now you have a nice dry storage place full of TREATED COTTEN BALLS. The mice will steel theis cotton balls to make into there nest. By doing it this way you might have a bunch mice taking it to make there nest, instead of one mouse making his nest in it alone. Being that mice are one of the major HOST for Deer ticks. In theory the mouse takes the treated cotten balls back to his nest and it becomes part of his nest. Every time a mouse that has a tick on it comes into the nest, and the Permethrin is still present, it kills the tick. One less tick to lay eggs, means one less or a hole lot less ticks that might be out there to bite you. I did the pipe thing thinking it would be more rain proof and it might last longer. But if a person makes up some cotton balls and just drops them under brush or where ever. One less dead tick is one less to get onto you or something else. Not sure where I got this information from, talking to someone in my Wildlife Removal Proffession, but well worth passing on. 

Happy

Hold a flame to their hind end. They will back out.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

HFultzjr

This is what I use.
Mix 19 parts water to 1 part perm.
Then put in an old sawyer's bottle to spray and I know what it is when sitting on the shelf.
Remember to shake well when using.

https://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10-32oz-Quart/dp/B00061MSS0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488905126&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=martens+permethrine

TalksToTurkeys

Not only is the tick population increasing the percentage of deer ticks carrying the bacteria that causes Lyme disease is increasing. It is estimated over 20 percent of them carry the bacteria.
In 2013 I was one of nearly 5000 people in Pennsylvania diagnosed with Lyme disease. This is the most recent year the CDC has data for. I wouldn't be surprised if that number is much higher this year.
Permethrin certainly helps but nothing is 100 percent effective. Last year after a hunt I found a dead tick buried in my neck. I had treated all of my clothes with permethrin but it still found a way to get me.
If you are hunting in a high risk area and find a tick attached, remove it and go to your Dr. He can prescribe an antibiotic to prevent bacterial infections. You only take it once but it has to be taken within a certain time of tick removal.
Good luck and don't take chances with ticks.

spaightlabs

Quote from: rifleman on March 06, 2017, 08:11:31 PM
I heard a sure-fire way to get those ticks off is to saturate a cotton ball with fingernail polish and tape the ball over the tick.  Reportedly, he will back and and be dead.

Best prevention is, well, prevention.

Once the tick has penetrated your skin it is game on as the transfer of bacteria etc can begin immediately.

HFultzjr

A funny thing is (well not really funny), but when I was younger, about 15-20 years ago, I couldn't even tell you what a tick was. Briars, weeds, thickets, etc. A lot more places than I do now. Never a one.
:newmascot:

bigbird

I wear knee high socks treated with permethrin and every garment that I wear to the woods is treated also. I sit on a gobbler lounger treated with permethrin so I am not directly on the ground. And knock on wood I haven't had any ticks on me. My poor nephew on the other hand did get Lyme disease last summer when they were up in the lake George area of New York.

Gobspur

Quote from: HFultzjr on March 07, 2017, 11:49:03 AM
This is what I use.
Mix 19 parts water to 1 part perm.
Then put in an old sawyer's bottle to spray and I know what it is when sitting on the shelf.
Remember to shake well when using.

https://www.amazon.com/Martins-Permethrin-10-32oz-Quart/dp/B00061MSS0/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488905126&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=martens+permethrine

X2 - this is the stuff I use as well and dilute with water.  Some of the concentrated Permethrin you find at farm supply stores have petroleum products in them for sticking to livestock.  Stinky and not good for clothing.

ncwoodsman

Here is a lyme disease map if any of you are interested in checking it out : https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/

HFultzjr

Quote from: ncwoodsman on March 09, 2017, 08:51:10 AM
Here is a lyme disease map if any of you are interested in checking it out : https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/

Nice site. Lots of info.
So, if I'm reading this right. 2015 CONFIRMED case 28,453 in U.S. 7,351 in PA alone. Wow, that's almost 26% of the confirmed cases were in PA for 2015.

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/tables.html

Lucky me!
:newmascot:

PaytonWP

It's not just Lyme they carry either. I've been on and off antibiotics for a year now and am getting close to being back normal. I have brucellosis and bartonella. I sure wish I would've known how bad a tick bite could be before I got this crap.

model94

Does Martins have an expiration date on it? It would last me.15 years.

greencop01

Something else to consider, Game Hide elimi-tick clothing. The clothing repels ticks for 70 washings. They make shirts, long sleeve t-shirts, pants, hats, socks, gloves, all camo except the socks. You can get them on their website. I think they got a recipe or method of putting permethrin on the clothing permanently.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!