turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2017 Tick Alert!

Started by HFultzjr, March 06, 2017, 09:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HFultzjr

As if we didn't already have it bad enough! Looks to be a bumper yield of ticks this year. Attached is a spreadsheet showing state/counties and stat breakdown over the years. Looks like the North East is goinng to be bad.......again! Read up, be careful and start the Permithrim treatments early.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2017/03/06/518219485/forbidding-forecast-for-lyme-disease-in-the-northeast.

Spreadsheet attached showing your state and county, showing how they have progressed.

:newmascot:

bbcoach

As stated, break out the permetrin, saturate all of your hunting gear several days before the season so it can dry and Hunt Hard!

SteelerFan

Might have to read up on the homemade mixture so I have plenty!

:angry9:

ncwoodsman

1iagobblergetter

Are thermacells only good for mosquitos or will they keep ticks away also? Deer ticks are the Devil.....

Tail Feathers

Thermacell is great for mosquitoes, does not stop ticks at all tho.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

ThunderChickenGetter

saw today that thermacell is fixing to come out with a tick repellant system. hopeis works as good as the one for mosquitoes.

bbcoach

Permethrin is the ticket for ticks.  2 years ago a buddy and I were hunting Wisconsin side by side.  I had permethrin on my clothes=no ticks, he didn't have any and he had ticks all over him.  Go to any farm or garden supply store and ask for 10% permethrin, mix 1 oz with 20 oz of water and spray away(.5%).  Saturate everything, hang and let dry.  Put it on everything, hat, gloves, vest, seat, face mask   everything.

rifleman

I heard a sure-fire way to get those ticks off is to saturate a cotton ball with fingernail polish and tape the ball over the tick.  Reportedly, he will back and and be dead.

Hook hanger

They already out and about in Missouri

Vinci1964

Stopped and got 24 oz of permethrin tonight. I am ready

TN Beard Buster

X2 on the ticks out early!! I live in a midtown neighborhood in Middle TN. I got two ticks off my puppy, and he's an inside dog that only goes out to potty or play on a concrete porch!! I got the first one off on Groundhog Day, and he'd been on him a couple days!

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: bbcoach on March 06, 2017, 07:37:27 PM
Permethrin is the ticket for ticks.  2 years ago a buddy and I were hunting Wisconsin side by side.  I had permethrin on my clothes=no ticks, he didn't have any and he had ticks all over him.  Go to any farm or garden supply store and ask for 10% permethrin, mix 1 oz with 20 oz of water and spray away(.5%).  Saturate everything, hang and let dry.  Put it on everything, hat, gloves, vest, seat, face mask   everything.
Wisconsin was my first and only run in ever with Deer ticks. Them  little things are all teeth for their size. Was hunting around a ton of pines and the floor was loaded with em. I've had Wood ticks on me in Iowa,but never deer ticks. Ain't saying we don't have them though.

born2hunt

Quote from: bbcoach on March 06, 2017, 07:37:27 PMGo to any farm or garden supply store and ask for 10% permethrin, mix 1 oz with 20 oz of water and spray away(.5%).  Saturate everything, hang and let dry.  Put it on everything, hat, gloves, vest, seat, face mask   everything.

What brand do you use ?  The 10% I tried (from Tractor Sup.) stunk so bad I could not bring myself to spray it on my clothes. Even after mixing it had a TERRIBLE chemical smell. I used it around the outside of the house for general bug spray and it even stunk the yard up. Guys cant be using what I had. Or at least I wouldn't think so...
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

bbcoach

Quote from: born2hunt on March 06, 2017, 09:28:04 PM
Quote from: bbcoach on March 06, 2017, 07:37:27 PMGo to any farm or garden supply store and ask for 10% permethrin, mix 1 oz with 20 oz of water and spray away(.5%).  Saturate everything, hang and let dry.  Put it on everything, hat, gloves, vest, seat, face mask   everything.

What brand do you use ?  The 10% I tried (from Tractor Sup.) stunk so bad I could not bring myself to spray it on my clothes. Even after mixing it had a TERRIBLE chemical smell. I used it around the outside of the house for general bug spray and it even stunk the yard up. Guys cant be using what I had. Or at least I wouldn't think so...
I have Martin's.  It does have a smell when you first spray it on but it goes away after it dries.  Remember, we aren't hunting deer.  We don't have to be scent free.  It's about keeping ticks off you to keep from getting ALL the Debilitating diseases that the ticks carry.  If turkeys had the sense of smell like deer do, we probably would never kill one.