turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Homemade predator spring green

Started by WNCTracker, March 04, 2017, 02:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNCTracker

I've been wanting a shirt that was like the Columbia PFG with predator camo. My wife Found a tan shirt at good will clearance for $0.50. And I had leftover camo spray paint so I went for it. I'm going to let it cure in the sun then wash it in cold and see how it does. But I'm really pleased with it. Did a hat too. Never hurts to try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

SteelerFan

As long as the paint isn't stiff - you've got a winner!!

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

WNCTracker

Quote from: SteelerFan on March 04, 2017, 03:15:54 PM
As long as the paint isn't stiff - you've got a winner!!

It's funny, the 2 krylons that used dried stiff but the rustoleums didnt.  I bet they'll soften in a cold water wash though

owlhoot

Hope you don't end up with ty dye camo

the Ward

Looks great! If you paint another one, they make fabric paints that they use to airbrush t-shirts and fabrics that hold up pretty well. Craft stores usually carry it, and you can also find it online. Only drawback is you need an airbrush, but you can get decent ones pretty cheap. They have Testor airbrushes that use canned air that work good for stuff like that. I have three airbrushes I've picked up over the years for model aircraft my son and I used to build, and they come in handy for all sorts of projects. Shirt looks awesome, and that had to have been a lot of work to do such an intricate design like that! When you wash it, I would hand wash it in cool water, with a mild detergent, and let it dry on a clothesline.

WNCTracker

After a long cold water wash it came out faded. The black lines that I painted didn't fade. It the sprayed on background came out stone washed. It was a trial and learning experience. It will serve as a nice under layer when I need to shed a layer to haul out a Tom. Oh well, live and learn. But dang, it did look good.

Greg Massey

:TooFunny:
Quote from: WNCTracker on March 04, 2017, 10:43:23 PM
After a long cold water wash it came out faded. The black lines that I painted didn't fade. It the sprayed on background came out stone washed. It was a trial and learning experience. It will serve as a nice under layer when I need to shed a layer to haul out a Tom. Oh well, live and learn. But dang, it did look good.

:TooFunny:

1iagobblergetter

Looked like an awful lot of work...

GobbleNut

I agree, that looks like a lot of work for one T-shirt.  You must have just been looking for a way to pass the time before the season.

If you are going to try this again in the future,...just use cheap, flat, interior house paint.  It works well for modifying camo to get the right color combinations for where you are hunting.  I have done it for years on old, faded camo stuff.

You can buy the cheap, sample-containers of paint (Home Depot, Lowes) and have whatever colors you want mixed.  If I am hunting a specific location regularly that I really want to blend into for some reason, I will just get samples of the vegetation, rocks, or soil from the area and match those colors with the samples at the store.

Unless you are just determined to get some sort of fancy camo pattern, you can just use a few of those "faux finish" sponges they sell at places like Home Depot and dab the various colors you choose onto your camo until you get it the way you like.  After applying, just let it dry completely before washing.  It holds up well, does not "stiffen up" your clothing...and is easy to re-touch if the need arises.

Meadow Valley Man

Looks nice, but I don't recommend sitting in snow or hunting in the rain.  :drool: :drool:I had a state of the art original tree bark outfit in 1991 that I added some magic marker green to for a Black Hills hunt. Unfortunately, we had some wet, heavy snow, and not only did I turn the snow green where I sat, my legs had green splotches on for several days after the hunt!

WNCTracker

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 05, 2017, 10:15:12 AM

You must have just been looking for a way to pass the time before the season.

Bingo

Greg Massey

Quote from: WNCTracker on March 05, 2017, 01:20:25 PM
Quote from: GobbleNut on March 05, 2017, 10:15:12 AM

You must have just been looking for a way to pass the time before the season.

Bingo

Al least with the paint smell you have a good cover scent ....