OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Identify your target!

Started by fdh54turkeyshooter, March 03, 2017, 08:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fdh54turkeyshooter

I thought I would post this one since turkeys season is coming in this weekend for some and starting soon for the rest of us. Last spring my hunting partner from NC & I were hunting a private 14000 acre lease. I had dropped him off and proceeded to the other side of this particular block of woods. At approximately 9am I heard one shot which was directly in line with where I let my partner off. At first I thought he just killed one. I thought the gunshot sounded louder than the 20 gauge he uses and is deadly with I might add. Well I had not seen or heard another truck that morning , it's the middle of the week , your on 14000 acres with the gates locked behind you. Well I eventually made may way back to check on him. What I saw when I arrived at the drop off point will forever be etched in my mind. A deputy hitting his blue lights to pull me over. I knew this particular deputy really well. I asked him what was wrong. He stated " Fred, I'm afraid your hunting partner has just been shot!" After a quick talk with God, I said where? He said in the face! I said is he gonna make it. He said he is at the hospital as we speak. As it turned out my thoughts on the gunshot were correct. He took a 3' load of number 5's in the right side of his head at 30 yards! He did make it and it was a miracle he did not lose his sight or hearing. He took 26 pellets in the head and still carry's most of them in him I believe. He is a tough one though and went on not only to recover but ended up hunting NC, Kansas & Nebraska the same year after being shot! I don't think he will ever sit down at the tree the same again though without that feeling that only someone who has been shot can feel!
The man that shot him clearly did not identify his target and shot at the first sign of movement and is facing a court date soon so that is why I am not mentioning any names. I am sure he wishes he could take that shot back, but remember folks, Once it leaves the barrel it's gone! And you are responsible! And you don't want to live with the mindset of having shot someone by accident. They can both thank God that it turned out as well as it did! So that being said, be safe and don't forget to say your prayers and identify your target! :jesus-cross:

Fieldturkey

MK M GOBL

One of first 4 rules you learn in hunter safety.

The 4 Rules of Firearm Safety can be remembered by the acronym TAB K
T = Treat every firearm as if it was a loaded firearm.
A = Always control the muzzle of the firearm.
B = Be sure of your target and what is before and beyond your target.
K = Keep your fingers outside of the trigger guard until ready to shoot.

I help teach this every year!

MK M GOBL

fdh54turkeyshooter

No but close, his name is Kevin

USMC0331

Sorry to hear he was shot but certainly happy he made it. That's a shame that happened. I hunt gameland in SC  and I try and put myself in a position to not being shot and can see both Turkey or people. Unfortunately in SC a lot of so called hunters want to do a ground check. Hopefully all that hunt this year will have a safe, fun, and successful season.

longspur

Had a friend shot with a 30-06 while deer hunting years ago. He lived through it and most of the blame was put on him because he wasn't wearing a vest. I don't see it that way. I know he should have been wearing a vest, but how do you determine its a buck and that you're shooting at vitals if it's not even a deer? Glad your friend is ok  and hope he don't have problems with it later in life.

Gamblinman

I'm the last one that wants more laws to comply with, but maybe we need something like this:

With todays social media and internet possibilities,  hunters could be required to view a short video or audio presentation (2 minutes) emphasizing muzzle control and target identification before a hunting license can be validated. A simple verification code can be used to determine compliance.
The hunter can watch at his convenience.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

turkaholic

This makes me bitter. Just wondering how I would handle this senecio. I don't think  will say what I'm thinking.
live to hunt hunt to live

surehuntsalot

hunting "accidents" are no accidents, they are a moment of complete stupidity, and the shooter should go to jail
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

silvestris

I came within about 15 degrees of being shot a few years ago.  Heard the shot, turned my head and saw the turkey flopping.  Went over and asked the hunter where he was sitting and dread overcame me.  Public ground is dangerous.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

turkeyfoot

Only once have I had close call and it as in Va on private ground never forget sound of them pellets hitting the leaves was a nutcase trying to cut a bird off that was coming in, Can't assume your safe anywhere

fallhnt

Quote from: silvestris on March 04, 2017, 06:29:58 PM
I came within about 15 degrees of being shot a few years ago.  Heard the shot, turned my head and saw the turkey flopping.  Went over and asked the hunter where he was sitting and dread overcame me.  Public ground is dangerous.
The ground isn't dangerous...PEOPLE are dangerous.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Devastator

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 04, 2017, 05:30:04 PM
hunting "accidents" are no accidents, they are a moment of complete stupidity, and the shooter should go to jail
YEP,had it happen during the fall awhile ago,calling to a split flock and had a few coming,
then,BANG,could hear the BBs coming through the goldenrod before they reached us!!First reaction was to hit the dirt!BURIED are faces in the ground and could hear the pellets screaming by!Ended up the group that was in there,said they didn't know we was in there,BUT I KNOW THEY KNEW!!

fdh54turkeyshooter

In this case it was an older gentleman that that clearly was in the wrong and lied about what he saw but jail wouldn't help I don't believe but sitting through some films of shooting incidents that turned out much worse could serve a purpose along with hunter safety training and paying all past and future doctor bills would help, and I just thank God it was not my grandson that got shot or I would probably be in prison! Not sure I would have handled it correctly! We got our first turkey together on that same lease a few days prior.

the Ward

Glad your friend survived. I agree that there is no such thing as a hunting accident. It scares the heck out of me that there are people that can pull the trigger without knowing what they are shooting at. Just like people who won't buy a cheap pair of binoculars. "Binoculars? naw, I just use my scope to check things out with" Yea, pointing a loaded gun at what could be a person is a great idea. Unflippingbelievable!