turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fall vs spring

Started by BB30, March 02, 2017, 03:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB30

Just curious, what have you learned from hunting or watching turkeys in the fall that has made you a better hunter in the spring? For me, we don't have a fall season. I do enjoy watching them during bow season and getting to see larger flocks together and how they interact with one another. Getting to hear them communicate when they are grouped up has helped me quite a bit as far as hearing different whines and sounds that I guess wouldn't be considered mainstream vocals.

WV TURKEY THUG

I learned that there two totally different birds. They seem dumber than a box of rocks compared to what they are in the spring.

catman529

Quote from: WV TURKEY THUG on March 02, 2017, 05:19:06 PM
I learned that there two totally different birds. They seem dumber than a box of rocks compared to what they are in the spring.
That is true, they must feel safe when they are in flocks. They dont always come to calls as easily but if you get busted you're still likely to get a shot off before they're gone.

Kylongspur88

Easier to kill in fall IMO. It is good calling practice.

fallhnt

Fall is real turkey hunting. If your want longbeards,you have to scout and call to longbeards. If you want to hunt hens and poults,you scout and find family flocks and call to them. Spring is easy to find longbeards due to gobbling. Set up,call like a hen and if your lucky you can get a gobbler to come in.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Uncle Nicky

Its sort of an apples/oranges comparison. I hunt with a dog in the fall, it's a lot of walking. You are always looking for flocks in the fall, in the spring you're usually listening for gobbles. Spring turkey is a lot more sitting and calling.

But to answer the original question, if I could say I learned anything in the fall that applies to the spring, it's the many different vocalizations that turkeys can make.

boatpaddle

Fall offers allot more vocalization & assorted calls....

A busted flock verbally getting back together is a wonderful thing to listen to....You can hear the whole turkey vocabulary in a very short time.....Numerous pitch, tones and presentations of the same call from different birds makes for a varied lesson in fall calling....
Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

WildTigerTrout

Calling in and killing a MATURE gobbler is ALOT harder in the fall.  They do respond to calls but much less frequently than in the spring.  They really do not mind being alone in the fall.  If you bust a group of gobblers up in the fall it may take them several DAYS to get back together!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

ilbucksndux

Not much into fall hunting. I have a call in my pack when deer hunting and if i see a gobbler I will shoot it but wont shoot anything but. Not a purist or a snob,I just would rather leave them for seed.
Gary Bartlow

budtripp

I don't even bother with fall hunting. It's just not the same. Plus I have waterfowl and whitetails to occupy my time.

turkaholic

In NY where I hunt they reduced the season from nearly 2 months to 2 weeks. We used to go to camp every year for a week to 10 days. We have had amazing Fall hunts with gobblers gobbling and fighting. This goes on due to the pecking order. When you bust a flock of 30 birds you can have a very unbelievable experience. The problem for me is you can walk a lot of miles before you can see that. It doesn't happen often but when it does you will never forget it. Be careful of shot placement and be sure of other birds in your sight window! I used my time in the Fall woods to explore areas that I would not investigate in spring. I located many sweet new spots doing this. Fall hunting is an all day thing compared to spring that closes at noon. A lot of walking involved.
live to hunt hunt to live