turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What a find...

Started by tha bugman, March 01, 2017, 10:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tha bugman

This is a spin off of the hidden treasures thread.  Wanted to tell a brief story from this past Saturday.  Last year a member of our club killed a turkey and put the box call that he used in the pic with the bird.  There was something that caught my eye about it...(Can't remember now exactly what it was) so the other night at our annual cookout I asked him more about it.  He gave me a name (didn't know if it was first or last) and the name of the road the call maker lived on.  I was really surprised at how close this man lived to some of my stomping grounds and I had never even heard of him!  Anyway Saturday came and I made up my mind I was going to find him and check out his calls.

The Boss Hen and Poults loaded up and headed out.  When we got to the road I told everyone "Ok, everyone be looking for a house that looks like a turkey hunter would live there."  Realizing how stupidly stereotypical that sounded I added "well the house will probably have a shop by it."  So on we drove.  We soon came to a house that had several religious emblems on their vehicles, ten commandments in their front yard..etc"  I told the Boss "pull in here and I will ask if they know where the man lives...at least we won't get chopped into little bits." (Yet another stereotypical statement as many have been chopped to bits by religious fanatics, but I digress).  A man came to the door wielding an axe... (just kidding).  I asked him if he knew of this mans name, he said that he was the next house on the left, which happened to be almost within site.  So we slowly drove down the road to the next house on the left.

The mailbox had another name on it than the one than the one that I was given, but I told the Boss to turn in and we would see.  As we pulled down the long driveway and to the front of the house, out steps this man from his shop holding a box call and starts yelping on it.  I get out of the truck and immediately say "Well I know that I am in the right spot!"  We hit it off immediately and I went into the shop and was amazed at the craftsmanship.  I found out that the name that I was given was actually his first name explaining the difference on the mailbox.  I asked "what all do you make?"  He said "well this is it...I tried making different ones but never could get them to sound right so I just stuck with what I knew worked."  The time that I was in his shop threw me back to years ago, sitting and listening to my late mentor making calls and talking turkey.

After a great visit and trying different ones, I made my selection, paid him, and we said our goodbyes.  It was one of those moments in life that actually seemed surreal for some reason.  I told the Boss "you know if I had just been listening over at the religious house I probably would have heard him yelping calling me in!" Either way I could not be happier with this "hidden treasure" from my neck of the woods. 

SteelerFan

Hmmm... so the Mrs. bought into the whole "divine intervention, I need to buy this call" thing. I'll keep that one in mind.

Very cool! Great find - it looks great  :icon_thumright:

tha bugman

Quote from: MDTOM84 on March 01, 2017, 10:52:09 AM
Do you have a phone number for that gentleman?  Well I guess I should ask will he ship calls?
I would assume he would ship.  I don't have a phone number, but I will get one and pm it to you.

Happy

Good story. You have a talent. Congrats on the call

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

agent eight seven O

Cool story and a nice looking box call. I have a soft spot for one sided boxes. I bet it sounds great.

Crooked spur

I'm more of a lurker on this fine sight but I've known mr. Eckle my whole life heck he don't live a half mile down the road I happen to have a few of those one siders myself

tha bugman

Quote from: Crooked spur on March 01, 2017, 05:26:08 PM
I'm more of a lurker on this fine sight but I've known mr. Eckle my whole life heck he don't live a half mile down the road I happen to have a few of those one siders myself
Super nice guy, he really made me and my family feel right at home. 

Yoder409

Good stuff right there !!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Crooked spur

I just spoke with him and he said if anybody was interested y'all can send him an email at eckle48@hotmail.com

Greg Massey

That's a nice looking call, and a neat story ....